- advertisement -

Excitement Highs - I think

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Jul 12, 2012.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

We are leaving for the beach Saturday morning. My dd is now running high. Seems like no matter how much insulin we gave her yesterday she would not stay below 200. I changed her site twice even though I was reasonably sure that was not the cause because she did not go higher after eating. If I am remembering correctly she did this last year before vacation.

Do your kids get highs from anticipation or excitment? If so do you do temp basals or adjust basal rates?

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think that my DD does. I know we once saw a huge drop between the 1/2 hour or so between the conclusion of a play that she was very excited about and getting served in a restaurant. I suspect that that might have been a true "adrenaline" high.

But not always. I am now certain that I incorrectly attributed lots of highs early on to excitement -- when in retrospect they were probably due to our (less-informed) management while on MDI.

The vast number of variables in play is what makes D so challeging.

For our DD, we would not expect excitement to lead to all-day highs -- when it has happened (or when we think it has happened) -- it has been shorter term. Now, I would be less likely to ascribe a high to excitement and would probably do a correction.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is possible but I have never seen it. I would look at other causes, such as possibly the start of an illness, site problem, etc. If the high bg's are not related to food I would keep gradually increasing the basal until you see a change. Good luck.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Not so much excitement from birthday parties, vacation, etc, but the excitement and adrenaline at swim meets causes huge highs for her. Hana is a competitive swimmer and we have to run huge temp basals during swim meets to counteract the adrenaline highs. The OmniPod only goes as high as +95% for temp basals and that isn't enough. I also have to run an extended bolus at the same time.
    I've seen her go in to a 30 second race with a BS of 85 and come out 30 seconds later and check and she is 150! But if we don't keep on top of it between races, she will end up in the 300s.