- advertisement -

Excessive hair growth in boys...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Jul 23, 2012.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Has anyone had this happen to their teen? Besides the normal stuff, anything excessive? I am not sure if it's insulin related or what? I have a call into the endo, but thougth I'd check here as well. He is 16. Excessive hair growth on the upper arms, etc. (he made his dad shave his arms while we were on vacation or he wasnt going swimming, he is totally embarrassed). Kids always ask him, "why are you so hairy?" we blame it on me being sicilian!:eek: But, now I am beginning to wonder if there isnt another issue here... Maybe it's just genetics, but I am beginning to wonder now that others are noticing as well.

Thanks. ;)

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth is 17...No excessive hair. Pretty sweaty though lol

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

My husband is half Sicilian, non d, and hairy. I think it is genetics. Some guys are just hairy. My son in law was Hispanic and he used to shave his back etc. Nothing wrong w that.

4. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

But just to be on the safe side, I would suggest you get his thyroid checked out. The thyroid controls a lot of hormones (TSH) including those that control puberty.

My husband is of french origin and has hair all over both his back and his front. Took me a while to get used to it.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I am very hairy. I have to shave the arm or stomach area before putting a sensor on, or it won't stick.
    I'm still getting hairier (especially my back and chest) but I don't see it as a big deal. None of my brothers is as hairy as I am, but I am the oldest. My dad is pretty hairy too.

6. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Thanks, everyone. Will speak with Endo at next appointment. He started maturing pretty early, too, so who knows... Maybe thyroid, maybe not, but I am determined to find out, esp since he is so self-conscious of it. :eek:

Thanks, again...

Kathy

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think you are thinking of the the pituitary that controls the gonads. The thyroid is a separate issue
    The hypothalamus releases Thyrotropin-releasing hormone that releases Stimulate thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) release from anterior pituitary. But excessive hair growth is not a symptom of hypo or hypo thyroidism

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012