- advertisement -

Exam: Mind over Adrenaline

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ashti, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Here is something that impressed me with DD who is in her first year of high school ...

DD had the first part of her math exam on Tuesday morning and her blood sugar spiked up to 16 (288).

Yesterday she came home and told me about the second part of her exam.
    Before the second part of the exam she started to feel nervous again and really wanted to avoid another high blood sugar - so, she made herself think about something else - and the highest she went was 10 (180).

I think she is well on her way - says the proud mom:).

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly goes down during exams?? The first time this happened was during the SAT. It's happened often enough that she now always tests before each big exam. Go figure??

3. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

I think all that heavy thinking is supposed to use up a lot of glucose, so that would account for going down during the exams.

It appeared to be the before-hand-nerves that brought DD up before the exam started.

But like your daughter, in both cases DD finished the exam 5 mmol (90mg) lower than she started, so she self corrected with brain power.

The fun, and figuring out, and scheming never ends!