- advertisement -

"ewww, if you're sick, I'm not going anywhere near you!"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Heard this for the first time today.. poor Kaylee.. little girl asked her what her pouch was for, what was in it.. AS SHE WAS OPENING IT.. I told her not to touch it.. (we were at the laundry mat..I was folding clothes and Kaylee was playing with this girl).. she asked what it was for and Kaylee said "I have diabetes"... and the girl said "are you sick" Kaylee says NO.. she says, 'well, if you have that you must be sick and if you're sick I'm not going anywhere near you because I don't want it'... as she's backing up.. luckily Matt was on his way over as the girl was saying this.. and told her you can't catch it (she tried argueing with him.. a 6 year old.. tried telling matt that Kaylee was sick.. subborn child..) she asked Kaylee what diabetes was and Kaylee said I don't know.. she does, but she doens't know how to explain it.. so matt explained it to the little girl.. and told her she can't 'catch' it.. its not something like that.. when he came back over to me I just said 'poor Kaylee'.. and he said, well I hope she doesnt encounter that to often.. I said, the sad thing is.. she WILL encounter that A LOT.. so he says 'your going into school and explaining it to all the kids'.. ya, so HER class will know, but what aboutthe rest of the school.. the kids on the playground and stuff..

I just wanted to cry.. :( We are going to make sure SHE knows how to explain it.. so she knows that she isn't 'sick' and that she can't give it to anyone, no one can catch it from her.. and explain what diabetes is in 4 year old language..

TheFormerLantusFiend likes this.
  2. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Sorry for Kaylee....but I have to say Delaney was dx at 7 and she has had people ask about her pump but we have never had anybody tell her she was sick and they could catch it...So, hopefully it won't happen as often as you think. In almost 3 yrs we haven't had it ever happen.

3. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

I'm starting to have Maddison say her pancreas is broken so she has to give insulin becuase it cant. Simple. Kids terms.

4. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Poor Kaylee~ Give her a hug for us !!

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

that is so sad! Kids can be so mean sometimes!

6. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

Whats really sad is that kids are repeating what they learn from somewhere like ....home.:(

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I agree, one kid kept taunting Tony "you can't have sugar hahaha", fortunately Tony doesn't know what he's talking about-yet. Of course I corrected that little brat too!

8. allisa

allisa Approved members

I like that.....because even if the next question is " what is a pancreas" , that again can be told in very simple terms. I find that kids move on quick once they feel they got their answer, even if it was an answer they don't 100 % understand.

9. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

After my post I got to thinking about what might be said while I'm not there ....so I asked at dinner...Delaney said she hadn't had anyone ever ask but Connor said once or twice when he was first dx.

Though out of the mouth of my almost 14yr old son..."If anybody ever asked me that again...I'd say YUP so You better get away from me..." I shook my head but I know if it happend he would say this.....wonder what the person would say then..????

10. 1luckymom

1luckymom Approved members

In junior high it seems kids can get a little ferocious. My daughter, newly diagnosed last school year, had a really good friend. As good friends go this was one of the very few she told about her diabetes. My daughter is very tight lipped about her diabetes. Well, they got into some kind of arguement and her so-called friend went around the school telling others Maddy has a disease!:mad: Sometimes kids can be so mean. Regardless to say, my daughter is still not talking to that girl. I guess as strong as our children are, here is another layer of armor they must coat themselves with!

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Poor Kaylee. We've had this happen, but not as dramatic as this kid. We were able to say a part of her body that turns food into energy doesn't work, so we have to give her insulin to help. We never call insulin medicine.

If I was Kaylee, I would have licked that kid, and then say you better run fast.

Oh, I'm on an express train to hell!

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Poor baby, what a rude child the other girl was:eek: Try not to worry too much, Seth has never had a problem at school. I always explain it to the class...The kids in the class will bond with her over it, they will keep an eye on her for you and become very protective. It will be easier in some ways because she will go all through school with her D being explained every year...By the time she's in Middle school, everyone will know;)

I'm only mentioning this to make you feel better, Seth has had D since 1st grade, and he's a very popular kid...With both his guys friends...And the girls:eek:;)

13. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

You forgot the hand gestures. He was all like wiping his hands on an imaginary face. It was hysterical.

14. Traci

Traci Approved members

I also explained to ds6's class that his pancreas was broken and that they couldn't catch it --- just like they can't catch a broken leg from someone in a cast or broken eyes from someone who wears glasses. When they asked what a pancreas was, I just explained that it was something inside their tummy area like their lungs and stomach. The talk went over well for us. Good luck.

15. spamid

spamid Approved members

Give Kaylee a hug for us!

16. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Poor Kaylee :( People can be so ignorant.

17. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Last weekend my nephew was staying over with us, and that evening he kept going to the bathroom. Of course, my first thought was "I gotta check his BG! He's peeing a lot!":rolleyes:

So I ask him if he's feeling OK, and he says, "Well, I've had diahrrea all day.":eek::eek::eek:

And so he's been in EMMA'S bathroom with the runs all day. I called his mom, and asked her to come get him, and she understood completely. Then I spent the next hour scrubbing every surface and bleaching anything that couldn't get up and run away from me.