- advertisement -

every thing was perfect, now high blood sugars

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mjonesdo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. mjonesdo

mjonesdo New Member

My daughter is 12, turning 13 in february. Her blood sugars were perfect and then out of nowhere are high all the time, but worse at night. I tried changing site and insulin, but was not the problem. I am assuming this is hormone issues, right? but she has not started menstarting yet? Help! I do not now were to start adjusting with the basal rate. I have tried correcting and nothing happens, so maybe I increase the correction factor. I also increased the basal slightly across the board adn still not much happened. I thought I read in some book somewhere that mentioned what time of night the hormones usually cause the BS to go high and mentioned to adjust specifically the basal (for example 12-2am) , but cannot find the book. Does anyone know? Also side note, but frustrated that our doctor team did not prepare us for this.
    thanks,
    melissa
    daughter 12, diagnosed type 1 at age3 and celiac age 10

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome to the most intense roller coaster you could imagine.:( It starts about 1-2 years before they start their periods. Hold on...it improves some in a couple of years, and our team tells me that around 2 years after they start their period, it gets tremendously better. The most encouragement I've had is that an adult T1 female said her basal profiles stayed the same for two years. There may be sanity in my daughter's future!:)

Puberty hit intensely in less than a month's time for us. Carb and basal rates both changed. I think my daughter was on 1:15 and she dropped to the 1:10/1:9 range. Carb ratios don't usually change once they're adjusted.

The basal profile doesn't change much, but I've changed basal settings almost daily for the past two years. The last couple of months, we've gotten a few days straight at a basal; it seems unbelievably easy when it happens. Right now I've seen straight line, no-alarm nights for two nights in a row!

Your signature doesn't say if your daughter pumps or CGMs. I've made constant use of both. I adjust the pump's temp basal rates based on how much and how fast she's increasing or decreasing at night (CGM graph). Its alarms are so nice (sleep depriving, though!), as it alerts you to "OH, growth spurt in action!" when the BG climbs 100 points in the hour after they fall asleep. The nice thing is that you see such things in real time and can take action before the BGs get out of control and too resistant to come down before morning most of the time.

You'll probably end up relearning everything you were taught about increase 10% at a time and then wait three days before doing it again. That. Just. Doesn't. Work. With. Puberty. I've increased more than 200% basal in one day, had good in-range BGs for two days, and then had the basal needs plunge just as much. I wouldn't dare do such things without the CGM monitoring because the drops occur as fast as the climbs. It's not fun.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

You might be interested in this article by Gary Scheiner about basal testing:
    http://diatribe.us/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas

This might give you some guidelines for dramatically changing some of the basal amounts. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to wake up a number of times during the night (if you don't have a CGM) for a few nights to see just where more basal is needed. Hope things get better soon! :cwds:

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

All I can think is, "your daughter has had type 1 for 9 years and everything was perfect?" You need to give lessons!:p

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I was thinking the same thing! ;)

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

If all was perfect for the last 9 years, then you should have the resources and knowledge you need going forward.

Puberty is a very challenging time for D management. So talk to your medical team, dust off you reference texts, and get to work. You can do this!:cwds:

7. mjonesdo

mjonesdo New Member

wow, have never posted before. Thanks for all the feedback. Well she has not alway been perfect, but we had worked really hard over the summer to get her basal adjusted with the new CGM to a ew stable rate for several weeks before all the chaos of hormones hit. I do find the guardian CMG helpful, but not always accurate and irritates her skin and does not calibrate at times, so cannot rely on it every night to help. Last night at 3am it was saying 63 and blood sugar was actually 283, does anyone else have this much variance with the CGM?
    Melissa , mom of Lauren age 12, DX DM age 3 and celiac age 10

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If the roll over on the sensor site you can end up getting false lows. Pretty common with the minimed system.:(

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Several thoughts:
    1. In terms of calibration, ideally she will be in the 70-150 range and BG is stable for 15 min before and 15 min afterwards. I found either 15 minutes before eating and right before bed were good times to calibrate. In my experience calibrating every 6-8 hours works best so you are never in a position where you have to do a "bad calibration" to keep getting readings.

2. The false low is from pressure on the sensor. If she sleeps on her stomach or side, the lower back is a great place for sensors. I am going to attach a pic for you so you can an idea of the area I am talking about. Upper arms work really well in my experience too.

3. If her skin is getting irritated under the transmitter a small piece of hypafix under it should alleviate that. I will attach a picture so you can see what I mean. If you are using the IV3000 medtronic sends with the starter kit I would suggest switching to opsite flexifix. It is just very superior and much less irritating in my experience.

4. If you want to post in the "Parents of Children with Type 1" forum about the medtronic sensors you should get more advice. There are a few of us who have had great success with the medtronic system.

10. Caysie98

Caysie98 Approved members

Yes, definitely adjust basal rate specifically in the evening/night if that's where the highs are. Also temporary basals work really well for me when a correction by itself won't do the trick. I usually do 200% for 2 hours. Hope this helps!