- advertisement -

Ever wonder why?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Poodle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I was walking through the grocery story, looking up and down the isle with many advertisements. It's October so I thought, "Oh...yes. It is Breast Cancer Awareness Month." I started toward the check out and see much MORE ads about Breast Cancer and supporting it. I silently think to myself..."why don't they do this for diabetes?"
    Yes, I understand Breast Cancer is a horrible disease but, what about diabetes?
    DIABETES IS...

The leading cause of blindness in adults 20-74
    Responsible for 60% of non traumatic lower-limb amputations
    The leading cause of kidney failure
    A leading cause of stroke

DIABETES KILLS MORE THAN BREAST CANCER AND AIDS COMBINED..

So, does any one else wonder this or want my adovacy about diabetes?

PS I just needed to tell someone what I am feeling!

2. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I really think that most of the world lumps type 1 and type 2 into the same disease and most people believe that people bring diabetes on themselves with poor lifestyle choices...Jake is 8, skinny as a rail and I still have people TELL me he got it from eating too much junk food and sugar.:mad: I don't think people really have all that much "sympathy" for type 1's because it is such a misunderstood disease.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I usually don't respond to teens, but here goes.

I was recently dx with breast cancer, I get mammograms every year. my last was 6 months ago from my finding the lump. It was so close to being stage 4. These last few months have been hell, pure hell. There needs to be better screening tools, people need to be aware of certain things on there mammo's.

I've learned a lot in these 2 months. turns out mammograms are pretty much ineffective on women with dense breasts. and the docs aren't obligated to tell you that your breast are dense, unless you are in texas, conn. or california. recent legislation was recetnly passed in these states requiring docs to tell you your breasts are dense. and a US diagnostic test is mandatory in these states.

I shutter to think what would have happened to me if I hadn't done my monthly check in july
    just my 2 cents.

4. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I understand breads cancer is extremely hard, difficult, scary and you never know what will happen next. My mom's best friend has breast cancer.
    I just want them to do the same for type one diabetes it is also extremely hard, difficult, scary and you never know what will happen next!!

I am not saying that breast cancer isnt important I am just mad they don't make the same efforts for finding a cure for type one diabetes! Everywhere you look you see breast cancer support blah blah blah.. What about other types of cancer...rare brain tumors that a little 5 year old is trying to fight.... I think all dieases need to be supported not just breast cacner