- advertisement -

Even after years

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

waiting for a stuck high to come to come down can drive one crazy.

Bolus, correct, temp rate, correct, override... you know those weird stuck highs? First and last dinner at the "Shake shack" :rolleyes:

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

We went to the New Haven Shake Shack when visiting my parents; I lost track how many times I had to correct him that night; yummy but deadly!!

3. LJM

LJM Approved members

They make us do crazy things like run 100 percent temp basals and pump insulin like mad. I don't know why it still gets stressful. You know it will come down...but it is crazy making nonetheless.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

There has been one in Westport for maybe 2 years and we've never stopped in before. Lesson learned.:p

It really made me appreciate having the G4 because without it I would have been uncomfortable treating so aggressively. But I still have to remind myself to be patient - hard when you are tired and it's late and you just want to see that arrow down :eek:

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

It is almost fortunate that DD won't let me be involved in her D management any more as I am getting too old for the lack of sleep. She had a bad night of lows that ended in a migraine headache and throwing up last week (that she attributes to food poisoning from a chicken cesaer salad she had in a restaurant). It took me all week to recover!!

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

The Shake Shack has done K in the two times we have eaten there. It's yummy enough that I'm willing to "work on the problem," though! ;)

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I think what you're dealing with is an aged bottle of insulin that has probably lost some its potency. :rolleyes:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

We probably would have done better had we not been bolusing through a 4 day site.:rolleyes: and a G4 restart just after the meal :eek:

Bit of a perfect storm, actually. Though I secretly suspect that they put 5 scoops of ice cream in their shakes. :cool:

Live and learn.:cwds:

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, I don't think so. The cartridge was new and our vials are never in play long enough to get old. :p

In a teen, long dx'd, with no islet function, a high fat/high carb meal under covered, will result in a stuck, insulin resistant high which requires copious amounts of insulin to budge, and more still to come down. Most of all, it takes patience on my part, something which can be in short supply after midnight. :eek:

10. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Sorry. Was trying to be funny (I hit the sarcasm icon and everything :) . Was poking fun at myself and this thread I started last week.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=74285

I think Mish probably nailed it pretty well with her response.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Watch out for that icon. :cool:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:have gotten me in heaps of trouble here.

No worries though, I missed the joke, but didn't take offense.:cwds:

12. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I don't know what the Shake Shack is, but it sounds delicious!

13. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I saw my first Shake Shack this weekend in NYC. Never heard of it -must be popping up everywhere! Sounds dangerous!:D

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Think hipster burger joint and you'll get the picture :p

15. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

So just out of curiosity, will you now avoid Shake Shack altogether? Or will you memorialize the details of what happened and use that info to give it another whirl sometime down the road?

We found our own little "Shake Shack" this past weekend and my son loved it. Not eager to go back.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Well, we don't eat a lot of burger type meals out. Never have, even before D. I think she's had fast food maybe a half dozen times in her life so it won't loom large. :p That said, we'd go back as a treat if it seemed important to her. Though I am a bit of an anti-junk mom overall so we'd either go for a burger OR a shake and not do both again at the same meal.

17. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Oh yum! My daughter doesn't like burgers enough to take her bo places like that (I'm thinking 5 Guys in my head), but we love Portillo's, which is an Italian beef chain and a meal there, especially if it includes their chocolate cake, does the exact same thing.

No way would we give up Portillo's even with the hard hit on the BG. Too delicious.

18. Mish

Mish Approved members

Burgers out are evil for us. Evil.

Shakes, not so bad, really. Surprisingly.

19. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

We've learned with the 'evil' foods to bolus at 150%; 200% on a combo bolus over an hour or so for high-fat meals (excluding pizza, curiously enough - pizza is not one of her 'evil' foods - who'd a thunk?). I tend to leave the basals alone - too much math for me and harder to keep track of IOB. If we overdo a bolus we can back off on basal. Works for us ;), take it or leave it :D.