- advertisement -

Estimating carbs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JNBryant, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

My parents are taking my boys to the aquarium this Friday, and afterwards they're going to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. I've looked in the calorie king book and unfortunately, that restaurant isn't in there. I can't seem to find any nutritional information online, either. My goal is to make dinner and dosing as easy on my parents as possible, so I was hoping to be able to have a general carb estimate for them. Being that my kids love food, while we were looking at the menu, they each told me what they wanted to eat. The only issue is the portion size. I've never been to this place before, so I have no idea how much will be on their plate, and since I won't be there, I'm not sure how to go about figuring out an appropriate dose. Has anyone eaten there before who's gotten something off the kids menu for their child? Is there a general rule to follow for estimating? Not sure if it helps, but their two choices are chicken tenders with honey mustard dipping sauce and fries, or the grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Not sure how accurate this is but I am generally comfortable using their carb counts.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/hard-rock-cafe

Also what I would do is just look up a similar type of restaurant. Like maybe applebees chicken tenders or tgi fridays or ruby tuesdays (I am guessing at chains here...). The carb counts are all pretty similar and I would guess they all use the same suppliers for the chicken tenders anyway.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Do your parents have a cell phone that can take photos? Maybe they can send you a photo of the dish and you can make your best guess.

I also second Meg on finding similar items that you can get carb counts on. DD is a chicken nugget connoisseur (meaning that's almost all she ever orders) so we look at them and say ok these look more like a KFC nugget than a McDonalds one and use that count to guess.

We also find the counts on my fitness pal to be pretty close.

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We weigh our fries and things like that, when we go out to places. We carry a small travel scale, and weigh it. My son doesn't get embarrassed, and he prefers the small delay to a more accurate count.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Must be a guy thing, my dd would starve before she let me whip out a scale in a restaurant

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Since your son is only 3, who really knows how much he'll eat in that environment. I'd give them conservative counts and correct after 3 hrs. Restaurant food always has more carbs than you think it should and more fat. Chances are he's going to be high after so just accept that it's a special night and let D take a bit of a back seat :cwds: Hope they have fun!

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

Restaurant food, especially something like french fries, usually involves me giving a dose upfront and then one about 2hrs. later. So I would probably just give a conservative dose at meal time and give one later when your child comes home if they need a correction.

8. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

Thanks for all the great suggestions! It's actually the first time that my DS will be away from me since his dx for more than a few hours and I get somewhat paranoid because while my mom is a L&D nurse, she's not really familiar with his bg patterns and appetite like I am. I told her that she could always call me if need be to let me know what he's eating and such, and she does have a camera phone, so taking pictures can be done as well. In the past I haven't exactly been the best at estimating carbs for things, and I seem to have a habit of really underestimating most of the time. I'd much rather have to give a correction than to have to fight with bringing up a low though. I do have a scale that I bring when we go over relatives homes, but DS is a powerhouse when it comes to food, and he's in no way patient when it comes to waiting for a meal. I count my blessings though, because we never really have issues with him finishing what he's given (knock on wood!).

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think if they can just get it in the ballpark, that's fine. I would say, do the best they can and be conservative in dosing and proactive in testing.

Tomorrow is a brand new day.

10. rulestein

rulestein Approved members

We have asked the restaurant weigh the fries. As long as they aren't too busy, they don't mind.