- advertisement -

enlite sertor malfunction

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by suej, Sep 1, 2013.

1. suej

suej Approved members

Hi, please may I ask if anyone has had a similar experience? My DS has been using Medtronic's Enlite sensor CGM for 3 months now and we have been on a steep learning curve and after struggling with finding a good site (upper buttocks rather than tummy as sensor very pressure sensitive and he sleeps on tummy so would be artefactually low at night), surviving a week of daily spontaneous restarts with help from this forum (thank you). We seemed to be getting better at it and really relying on CGM then just as we started to feel safe today happened.

Actually, looking back perhaps it started with the last sensor - after using the sertor to insert the sensor, when he pulled the sertor away, the needle housing pulled away with it but sensor was OK and we got a good 7 day use from it (start new sensor after 6 days). But this morning as he pulled the sensor away, the whole sensor came off. We were dismayed but thought we must have done something wrong and tried to insert a new sensor, very carefully pushing the release button as he pulled the sertor away again, and again the the whole sensor came away.

I phoned the helpline who were very kind/polite and they felt the sertor must be defective and not releasing the sensor properly, so they will send 2 replacement sensors and a new sertor. He said it was uncommon but not rare (not his actual words).

We have got used to the CGM as a security blanket, so do not like being offline. Does anyone have experience with this? Should one buy a spare sertor just in case?

Thank you
    Kind regards

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We used the enlite sensor consistently for over a year and never had the insertor malfunction.

Sounds like a very rare situation. It wouldn't make me concerned enough to get another one. But that may just be me.

3. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you Mimi

4. Cdntype1mom

Cdntype1mom New Member

We actually had same thing happen with our serter. We have used ours since March and had this happen on 4 occasions. I've learned to pull away very slowly. Sometimes I find it doesn't release the needle and will pull the sensor out. Sometimes it slips right off but other times it just won't let go of the needle housing and it comes right out. Most times I can save the sensor if I get my fingers in to hold the sensor in place. I've had the serter recently replaced but this one has also done the same thing. I won't go without the sensor now. My daughter a1c has gone from 8.1 to 6.7 in 5 months.

5. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you for your experience. That a great improvement in the HbA1c!

We got a replacement sertor today (actually a second hand one and when I queried it the local office suggested I buy a new one but I reminded them that the HelpLine said this malfunction happens occasionally and that they had promised to replace it so they are sending a new one. I have to remember to be assertive).

This one worked OK (DS quite reluctant after recent dismal failures with it) but also seemed as if it wanted to pull sensor away. I will be ready with my fingers next time to anchor the sensor - thank you for the tip. And to pull away very slowly.

We compared the 2 sertors and the broken one's button feels stiff, and when you look up into it, there was less movement of a little lever right at the apex of the inside of the sertor that might (and I am guessing now) be responsible for nudging the sensor out.

I am not yet sure if HbA1c improved - due next week. Really hope it has. Started CGM to try to avoid lows at school and prick less. I think my DS finds it frees him up a bit and enjoys pricking less often, but he did say he felt in someway relieved of a burden not always carrying the cgm with him everrywhere this last week (he does not pump yet). But eventually when the artificial pancreas happens it will surely use this type of technology and I want him to be familiar with it and I really like to know what is happening at night (even with false lows etc)