- advertisement -

enlite sensor with MM revel

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twodoor2, Oct 25, 2013.

1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I have the new enlite sensor and just inserted it for the first time today with the MM Revel (yes, it can be used with the Revel). For those that have this sensor, can we use it on our arms? The instructions per this video, indicate that it should only be used on the stomach, upper buttocks or love handles. My daughter likes it better in her arm.

http://www.medtronic-diabetes.com.a.../continuous-glucose-monitoring/enlite-sensor/

Any other tips on how to insert this sensor, overtape, etc. . .

Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I am very interested in any replies you get. Can I ask how old your daughter is? MiniMed will not even discuss if the new enlite system will work with the Revel or MySentry because my son is under 16. I have not bothered his Dr. about it because, even if we can get it, my son is not eligible to order sensors until December. Please post how the system works out for your daughter. Good luck!

3. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I don't see why it would be any different than the regular sensors. Those aren't made for arms either, but that's where we use them:rolleyes:

4. coeen

coeen Approved members

Hi,
    We only use the back of the arm. My son is 5. We still have the Sofsensor.
    We numb with lidocaine for about 45 minutes. He doesn't feel a thing. We get a good 7 days from each insertion. I cover everything with Hypafix tape. Other tapes give him rashes.
    I met with our rep last week and she said we can use the Enlite sensors with our current pump and MySentry. That is when we get the new sensors.
    Good luck

5. suej

suej Approved members

Hi, My 11 yr old DS has been using the Enlite for 4 months now. We have no experience with the Sofsensors. It has been a steep learning curve for us but what has worked for us:

1. They are pressure sensitive - try not to place them anywhere where your daughter may sleep on it else you can get artefactual lows. My DS son sleeps on tummy and we first used his tummy so lots of erroneous low and no sleep in first month until I learned from CWD forum that sensors are pressure sensitive

2. They are 13mm long and go in at 90% angle to the skin. Must be placed where there is sufficient subcutaneous fat. Upper buttocks below waistline work well for him but I would like to try back of his arms but he against it and fairly skinny

3. The sticky stuff of the sensors sticks brilliantly, so much so that I use convacare wipes to prise them off him, so that it does not hurt when we change sensors

4. The sertor device works very well - just count to ten after releasing button to make sure it is well stuck. If the sensor comes away with the sertor when you press the green button again and pull the sertor away then the sertor is broken and medtronic must send you another one. It should release it easily. That happened to us after about 2 months.

5. My DS reacted to medtronic overtape so I use 5cm heperfix and cut it with the same opening using the overtape as a template and it fits well over the the sensor with enough in front of it to securely hold down the sensor and provide a barrier under the transmitter. I then stick a slightly larger one over it all and despite swimming in the sea and being active it sticks for the whole 6 days

6. We do not need to use local anaesthetic cream - insertion is almost painless usually but perhaps with a younger child?

7. At times we have battled to get the promised 6 days use with a big fall in Isig on night 2 or 3 and I was giving up on the sensors then and changing them (Medtronic kept sending me replacements) but if we do startnewsensor instead of trying to calibrate very different readings then we seem to get back on track provided calibration factor OK (I see the CF appears on the carelink data now so easier to track) A good calibration factor for us (but I think I am not quite using the right equation) is Isig/SG above 3 is good, 4 - 7 even better ( we measure in mmol so 1 = 18 in US.)

8. Currently trying to get 7 days from each sensor and find that MAD% improving over each sensor lifetime and averages about 10% so accuracy seems quite good. Sensor D8 today so pushing the envelope for Enlite but provided it stays accurate will keep going. We did the disconnect/reconnect transmitter at the 168 hour inbuilt tramsmitter kill hurdle.

I have gone on a bit, sorry, and you probably more familiar with much of the above and I can't help with the arm site question.

Kind regards

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We have used the Enlite since April. After a rocky start due to a bad transmitter it has been plain sailing since, with excellent accuracy. We only use the flesh of the inner thighs - prevents the false lows for us. So I'm pretty sure arms would be fine too as inner thighs are not officially approved either. Every body is different so I would just try it and if it works for you, go with it.

7. ltomovski

ltomovski Approved members

Hi
    We have been using Enlites 2 years now .. Overall we are very satisfied .. never tried Dexcom G4 though ...
    In case you want to go deep into MM CGM I DO suggest you go through this ... very usefull info that goes for Enlites and latest pumps too. http://www.myparadigm.eu/ENUS/Layout.htm
    According to our experience good sensor has BG/ISIG from 0,2 to 0,3 (3,6 to 5,4 for mg/dl) .. this ratio is for mmol/l . We do have this problem when the sensor is pressed upon .. tend to show lower results. Note this is absolutely normal as when you apply pressure to parts of the body its normal to slow that's part metabolism. We have never used site others than upper buttocks .. I have a hint for you as we know the warmup period is 2 hours BUT the sensor starts to show almost real values after the first hour .. all you have to do is to multiply the ISIG value with your normal calibration factor .. For example after 1 hour of warmup if you have ISIG 30 you multiply it by 0,2 (3,6 for mg/dl) and you got 6mmol/l ... We had several sensors with initial calibration factor from 0,15 to 0,25 so have this in mind .. but still its great to know roughly values. We use 3m Tegaderm to tape it over .. We do not use the tape that comes with the sensors as 3m Tegaderm is way better ... We change sensors in the weekends after he gots up from sleep ..
    Do not calibrate in sleep .. Calibrate when you have almost flat profile ... We use sensor for 7 days .. You can select start new sensor on day 6 and it will act as you connected new sensor .. and the good thing here is that you will not wait 2 hours .. it will ask for calibration within 15 minutes... The way we do this is this .. We do not wait till day 6 .. on the 5th day .. we wait for good flat profile .. than we measure BG with the glucometer .. we enter the BBG in the pump and right after that we choose new sensor .. The sensor than shows warmup .. an 15 minutes later it starts working and takeoff from the value you have enetered just before starting the new sensor .... Anyway if you want to squezze more than 7 day from a sensor you have to know this ... The transmitter has a reset timer on the 7th day .. I mean that on day 7 the transmitter will stop transmit and you will endup with weak signal .. If you want to continue with that sensor you have to take off the transmitter .. recharge it (when recharged it will be reseted) and then attach to the sensor and if you want to continue with the previous sensor choose reconnect old sensor.
    If you have more question .. feel free to ask

8. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Thank you all for the replies. We're on our second enlite sensor today. The first one lasted 7 days and it was in the tummy. It was about 50 points off the first few days, but I attribute that to a learning curve and how I inserted it. I did it this time in the back of the arm. It didn't hurt her, and I'm hoping it will be more accurate than the first one. At least it's smaller and not as painful.

9. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

We called Medtronics and were told we can't get the Enlites because they aren't approved for people under 16? How did everyone get theirs? Do we just need a letter of medical necessity?

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, your doc just needs to write a letter.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So the comments about them being "pressure sensitive" and false lows lead to the obvious question, "how's that going to work with the new mm 530G and a low suspend feature?" Are a whole bunch of new users going to be waking up at 400 because they weren't getting basal for 2 hours due to a "low" of 170 or will this be a pump feature that rarely gets turned on?

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use our Enlite sensor on our 14 year old in the backs of arms. Had letter from doctor to get it. Using it with the Guardian.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

By law because of FDA approval they can not talk with you. You just need letter from doctor. Also talk with your rep or trainer. That is who told me what I could do although they are not suppose to talk about it either I think.
    Same as when we got Navigator and Dexcom years ago and it was approved for adults I think back then.

14. Don

Don Approved members

The poor performance of CGM at night due to "stale" interstitial fluid is something none of the CGM companies talk about but is a very real phenomenon. This combined with how long it takes for a suspended basal to bring up a low is why the 530's low glucose suspend feature is an underwhelming feature, imo. If and when it can pump glucagon, then it would be amazing, especially for the hypo-unaware.

15. Mogar

Mogar New Member

I have been on the Enlite for just over a month. On those 30 days I can say that I have had a total of 5 un-interrupted nights of sleep. I have gotten to the point that I will be turing off the sensor at night.

Last night as an example the sensor turned off saying I was at 57. I checked it and found it was at 118. Every 15-30 minutes a new alarm was going off saying I was low or doing a suspend function, even after trying to calibrate. I called MM at 4 AM and they said I could not sleep on it. It is 3 inches from my belly button and I was sleeping on my back... Strange. :confused: