- advertisement -

Engineering question - How does the Dexcom transmitter work without batteries or charging??

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Leo Bounce

Leo Bounce New Member

Any progress with battery changing? Can you show any photos of opened transmitter? Is there any batteries on market similar to what you found inside transmitter?
    Thanks!

2. Leo Bounce

Leo Bounce New Member

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

Pretty interesting article. They state the estimated material cost to be under $25. That of course doesn't account for R&D and the extremely high cost to market for medical devices.

6. karri

karri Approved members

And then your retail price is 40 times your bom (pretty typical actually for diabetes gadgets). As an comparison (ok, not very well suited as the volumes are way different) iphone bom is around $190, retail price being about 5x higher(=quite normal figure in any other industry).

7. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

So I am digging up this thread, since I was thinking that Hybrid electric vehicles that are out of factory warranty have supplied aftermarket battery and electric motor remanufacturers to keep cars on the highway,as well as businesses making money, at a fraction of the original cost from the OEM. There is not much difference with a CGM.

I checked the transmitter of an old Dexcom 7 and found that the transmitter has a reading of 195 mV DC (.195 V), when checked at the metallic contacts with a high impedence digital multimeter (DVOM). I am sure this is on its way out, but it still worked prior to switching to a Dexcom Platinum. I am not sure what the original full charge spec is, but if the "batteries" are actually capacitors, then the transmitter could conceiveably be recharged, using a simple, but modified recharging device, such as a 120V AC to DC step-down transformer-type adaptor (such as one that recharges a cell phone) with a resistor to drop the voltage, if needed. It may be that if battery powered, indeed, that they could still be slowly recharged.

Of course it would not be FDA approved, but if for personal use and checked as needed, what difference would it make???

Any thoughts from fellow electrical gurus?

Cherimomto8's hubby

8. JayReeve

JayReeve New Member

Long Transmitter Life

For the record, I've been using the same Seven+ transmitter for more than 3 years! They tried to persuade me to purchase a whole new system after 1 year (wouldn't sell me just a transmitter), but I decided to wait and see how long it would last.

After 3 years, I'm now ready to upgrade to a new G4 system, but the old transmitter is still pumping out the data, if not quite as consistently as before.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You know the new G4 transmitter is only suppose to last 6 months. Much shorter than the old one. We are already past 6 months and still working.

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

That link doesn't work for me anymore. I wish it did because if I remember right it showed the exact position of the battery. I could try to cut directly above the battery if I knew exactly where it was. Jacob doesn't use the Dex anymore and I'm sure the transmitter must be dead by now.