- advertisement -

Endos that tell parents a hypo will wake their CWDs

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Michelle'sMom, Jan 30, 2012.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have had a monitor in our son's room since Dx and I can recall a few times where he woke up from a low. It was some time ago and I don't remember if he woke me up or if I heard something else that alerted me.

Anyway, I have tested and found lows that I didn't hear from the CGMS.

All that having been said, I am still uncertain that we have ever experienced immediately dangerous lows. We have tested at 28 (lowest I can recall) and multiple times in the 30's and 40's. Too many times to count in the 50s. 60's are seriously uncountable. 70's are normal for us.

We have had, maybe, 3 to 5 lows where we could see a physical affect on our son. We were scared and we brought out the glucagon. Twice we did a mini and the other two we never used them.

So, where do I stand on the lows waking him up? I honestly do not know. I think there's a chance that it might and I might hear it. I have slept through the Dexcom for a few hours and I feel HORRIBLE when that happens. I am not going to take that chance.

We asked our Dx Endo in the Baltimore area, who I respect absolutely, what our odds were for a "dead in bed" scenario and he said "one in a million".

This is how we address it. We feel the A1c is a good approximation of future complications so we run as low as we feel comfortable and we are not comfortable with those parameters without a CGMS, an audible monitor and a random test in the middle of the night.

2. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My DD has had diabetes for 8 1/2 years now, and has only woken up from a handful of lows. I won't take the risk of missing one.

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son was 48 at 2:45 am one time this week, he did not wake up... I check him during those wee hours... He is 16 and 2 1/2 yrs into D. Had to wake him to drink a juice box.