- advertisement -

Endos in Raleigh/Durham

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rjlchef, Jul 14, 2011.

1. rjlchef

rjlchef Approved members

We have relocated from Atlanta with A 12 yr old son who has type 1. We are looking for a new endocrinologist in Raleigh. With no friends/family in the city, we have no one to ask for recommendations. Can any of you offer the name of your child's doctor and why you would recommend him/her?

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Jodi Heflin

2. sdneese

sdneese Approved members

Our endo is in Winston-Salem, so its about 2 hours away from you. We go to Brenner Childrens Hospital. They have two pediatric endocrinologists there- Dr. Walsh and Dr. Drury-Brown. Love them both! I never feel rushed through appointments, they encourage my son to ask questions too, and last time I needed a travel letter, it was in my hands before the end of the appointment!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

We see Dr. Robert Benjamin at Duke Pediatric Endocrinology- great CDE and team.

4. arogers

arogers Approved members

We see Dr. Deanna Adkins at Duke in Raleigh and are happy with our care there. We LOVE Dr. Benjamin but it is so much more convenient to stay in Raleigh. He only sees patients in Durham. Several people go to Dr. Bill LeGarde at Wake Med. But from what I understand, he is the only endo so most interaction is done thru the cde.
    Mom to 3 boys
    15, 13 (dx 3/07 Omnipod 10/07) and 8

5. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

I use to drive 5 hours to see the doctors at Duke Pediatric Endo. They are awesome. One of the docs their finally moved an hour away from us so we now go there if not I would still be driving 5 hours.

Before going to Duke we went to Brenners in Winston and to Charlotte and were not pleased with either place.

6. khannen

khannen Approved members

Add us to the Dr. Benjamin fan club. Lol :D Shealyn has been seeing him since her dx over four years ago. I have heard by general word of mouth that there are many good teams in the area though... UNC and Wake med as well as far as I know. Welcome to the area.

7. rjlchef

rjlchef Approved members

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I have made an appointment with Dr. Benjamin. I look forward to meeting him.

Do any of you participate in JDRF or any other support groups in the area? We will be in Johnston county. Any recommendations?

8. rjlchef

rjlchef Approved members

Dr. Benjamin

We had our first appointment with Dr. Benjamin. I can definitely see why the practice is so highly recommended. We were met with kind, knowledgeable, caring staff from check in to check out. They made us feel as though we were the only family in the office. I love this practice. My only regret is that we did not live here 6 years ago when Cadenn was diagnosed.