- advertisement -

Endo visit to release my daughter to school.... what a joke!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommymaul, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mommymaul

mommymaul Approved members

Today we went to see the endo that ultimately diagnosed my daughter with T1D, and HE was the one who told us not to go back to school until he got back from his vaca. So, that we did. When he came to the room, he didn't even remember that he told us not to send her back until he saw her. He sat down, looked at her log book, didn't ask any questions about it, asked vaguely how things were. I asked him about a carb range that she should be in, and he said (again) not to worry about the diet, basically we were to let her eat whatever and then correct with rapid acting insulin. Then I asked about what she would need for a sick day plan, and any paperwork that she would need to have in her files for days where she may not be able to attend, and all we got was "Call my office and we can discuss her illness issues then.... the school note will be after the fact". What does that mean? Nothing to put in a 504 plan.... nothing period. He wants the school to use the scale that he gave us in order to correct her levels at school. I had to ask him to give us a letter stating SOMETHING that they need to go by for checks and to release her to go to school tomorrow. He even told me that if the school/ nurse needed any information they could call him at his office. WTH?!!! They aren't paying him for his knowledge.. I am. Why shouldn't they call me, or better yet.... why doesn't he give me the info that I need so we don't have to call him unless it is an emergency?
    I am so pissed off, and I can't believe that his office was full of people... grant it they are adults, but how in the h*@$ does anyone even consider staying with him?
    Then, I had to hang out there to get a letter releasing her and the general info that he never gave to the nurse..... and I had to give a basic description to the woman that was typing it up for us so the school knew what to do, and then she didn't even use correct grammar.
    I am so mad I could spit!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Is this a pediatric endo?

If I were in your shoes, I would start looking around for a new one.

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I am just shocked that he had you put your daughter's school on hold for almost 3 weeks until he got back from his vacation!!!

I very rarely suggest this as I know it is not always so easy but I'd be looking for another endo if this was me.

4. mommymaul

I am going to.... I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he is the one that diagnosed her in the hospital because the two peds doing rounds couldn't tell if she was type 1 or 2... when he didn't want us watching her carbs too closely I just figured that he may have been watching for spikes or something. After todays vist and him not wanting her to follow anything makes me very mad. He is an adult endo, if you can imagine. I just figured that I would let him finish the job he started. Now it's over!

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am not sure what other states policies are but a child under 18 cannot see an adult endo. in Florida. I would be switching fast.

6. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I would be angry that he was so vague about everything too. And I would definitely start looking for a pedi endo. However, most of us are taught that the kids can eat whatever they want as long as they take the appropriate insulin.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The school thing really strikes me as insane. For him to fail to appreciate what it means for a 2nd or 3rd grader to miss 2-3 weeks of school is a big red flag the he doesn't really understand kids or schools. :mad:

8. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We had to have a meeting with our school before our DD could go back after diagnosis. Our school had a health plan that we had to complete and have the endo sign before she could return. I would talk with her school and see what they require. We didn't do a 504 until recently as our DD will be entering middle school next year, but we felt we didn't need it at her elementary school.

BTW, if you are not comfortable with your endo, by all means, find a new one.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Dump the clueless clown!

10. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

What he said!!

Then go one step farther. Do a Google search for doctor ratings. There are several that are widely used. Give the doctor a rating based on your experience and then back it up with an explanation similar to your initial post. It might not do anything to help you but you can bet that anyone who is looking for an Endo and decides to look at ratings on-line and reads your post, he/she will think twice about patronizing your doctor.

11. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

I can't believe he had you keep your daughter out of school for that length of time. I'm hoping that you live in an area where there are other endo's for you to choose from.

12. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Drop him

Sounds like he was distracted or to busy. Lots of Dr's are seeing way to many patients and rely on notes. If they take poor notes becaus they are distracted, sick, tired or going on vacation we suffer. One way we fight this is to take extensive notes and remind them of what we talked abourt last time. By being persistent they know we are coming and have done their homework for us. It should be this way foreveryone but it is often not the case.
    If he is a pediatric endo or not,I would drop him if you can find another endo and let him know why, He needs the feedback.

13. mommymaul

I think I have gotten one! The appointment isn't until May, but I am going to have them put us on a list to call us in case someone cancels! It is 1 1/2 hours to get there, but by golly I'll make it!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Glad to hear you found another endo. I will pray that this new one is the one who meets your daughter's and your needs.

15. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I am so glad that you got a ped endo... that is truly what you need! We have to drive almost 2 hours as well and it is certainly worth it to get to someone whose practice is tailored to the needs of children.

Best of luck and I hope you get in on a cancellation :)

Also, your 504 specifications can be based upon what you, as the parent (along with the school) determine is necessary and helpful to put your child on a level playing field and keep your child safe. You don't need to wait until May to begin the drafting process. Simply review 504 recommendations from this site and you will have a good starting point.

16. mommymaul

Here is a question, everyone mentions a 504 and she already has an IEP. When I went to the school on her first day back I mentioned a 504 and the sp needs teacher (who works with her and will help with meds if we need him to) says that she doesn't qualify for a 504, and especially if it comes to her having to miss school or be tardy because of lows making her late. Is this true? I'm confused on the 504 and the IEP in relation to illnesses..... I thought that the IEP was just an educational plan.

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Schools are often confused as to the 504. Here is a link for the information you need! :)

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...hool/written-care-plans/section-504-plan.html

18. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I think that under the Americans with disabilities act, a 504 is a right, not a luxury. There should be many in this group that will comment on this and correct me if I am wrong but I believe you are entitled to it under the law.

19. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I've been following your posts, but must have missed this ^^^. If you already have an IEP in place, I absolutely would not try to replace it with a 504. The IEP has much more power & accomodations that would normally be in a 504 plan can be added to the IEP.

20. mommymaul

Michelle'smom, he said that even the IEP wouldn't have any influence on when she misses school or is tardy for her diabetes. The principal wasn't there that day, and she may have more insite that he does.... he is new to public school and so he may not know. I thought that he would because of his position in the school, but I am not sure.