- advertisement -

Employer health care premium payroll dedution question

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Dec 16, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

trying to figure out something.
    Hubby quit his job 11/27 they paid him thanksgiving and the day after holiday pay so 11/28 and 11/29. Pay period ending 12/1.

Deducted for Healthcare premiums out of that paycheck and he got paid weekly. Don't you pay for health care in advance when deducting from weekly paycheck. (this is what he was told)

SO if they took a deduction out of his 12/1 paycheck shouldn't that health care premium cover till 12/7 or at least 12/6 if last workday paid for was 11/29, since he was paid weekly?

We just got Cobra paperwork and they have coverage ending 11/29, but we thought it was going to be 12/6, because they deducted on 12/1, covering for the next week right?

2. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

It's truly dependent on the employer. My DH's last employer was paying behind...2 weeks behind to be exact and we got a hefty lab bill because of it. His current employer is paying the week they're taking out, so if he leaves, there is no coverage effective the end of that pay week.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

You need to speak with the Human Resources department at his former employer to find out what their payment schedule is. It varies from company to company.

4. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My job your last day is your last insurance coverage. Does not matter when you paided till. See I am a teacher so if you leave willingly or not your last day could be the end of summer. Everyone they know is returning get coverage for the summer premium already paid, but if you declare your not returning your done with insurance an premiums are kept. Not fair but it is what happens.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think we are just going to have to wait and see. We are getting two different stories from the employer and medical and then Rx people!

The thing I am worried about is the rx orders I put in that last week that we were told we had coverage. I got them and they charges copay amounts, but I am afraid the insurance companies will come after us for what they paid the rx company.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have always wondered...what do you teach?

7. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

12 year kindergarten, 2 years fourth grade, 6 years school librarian.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Cool. I have always wondered.