- advertisement -

emotional issue: how do you let go?

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by sgh, Sep 1, 2011.

1. sgh

sgh Approved members

I met my son's first-ever teacher today, and within 2 minutes just broke down in tears. How do you send a little kid off to school? He's had diabetes for 4 years, can practically take care of himself, but we've never had babysitters, I just don't know how to do this. Intellectually, I think he'll be fine. The nurse has experience, there are 4 other kids in the school with diabetes, there's no reason to worry!

2. ShellyG

ShellyG New Member

Dear sgh,

I don't think you'd be normal if you weren't worrying. I worry like a PRO and I cry easily and often when it comes to how I feel about my daughter, her diagnosis and the challenges of her care. Some days are better than others and sometimes I want to hide because I feel such shame for not being able to handle it all like a gladiator.

But as my sister recently pointed out to me on a less than fantastic day, I'm actually dealing with it much better now than I was 2 years ago. That's progress. It does get a little better with time but mostly I think we need to work on being kindler and gentler on ourselves for how we cope with life with diabetes rather than thinking we need to let go of our concern for our precious children.

Sending you a virtual hug,
    Shelly

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Well why wouldn't you be emotional and scared? This is a big step! You have no proof that everything is going to be OK and that is why it's hard to let go. But your gut is telling you that it will likely go fine and I'm sure it probably will.

TIME is what will help. When you see that things are going well you will be able to relax. Somewhat.

You can't ever really let go. We have to deal with things and our kids have to deal with things that...well, it shouldn't have to be that way. Jacob just started middle school. We've been at this six years. This year I've talked to the nurse EVERY DAY and usually a couple of times a day. And there are SIX other kids with D in the middle school. But I'm starting to get very confident in her and in Jacob too. I'll bet this coming week there will be a few days where I don't talk to her. And that's good....

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We still worry about our older kids...but little by little, they train you to let go. It happens slowly and sometimes with a jolt (like the gut wrenching drop off at school for the first time that you just experienced) but by the time it's really time to let go, you'll be ready!:)