- advertisement -

EMLA and sensor sites

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by giddyup_go, Jul 6, 2011.

1. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

I'm wondering if I should call and ask for a script for EMLA cream before we get the dexcom. When she did the CGMS trial (minimed) at the endo's office, it did hurt. But we were told by the CDE (who also has type 1) that the dexcom needle / probe are much shorter / smaller than the iPro. She doesn't use EMLA for insets and says they don't really hurt more than an injection. Do you find it helpful or does it make much of a difference?

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

we just got the ELMA after 10 months of DEX. It isn't mandatory but she liked it. Then we promptly misplaced it so need to get it again. I think if she is struggling with the pain of sets, you might want to get it. If not, try without it unless you can easily get it. I only had to pay a $4.00 co-pay so will get it replaced for her.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've used the guardian and I'm using Dexcom and the difference in pain is HUGE. Pain was a big par of why I stopped using the Guardian, whereas with the Dexcom it doesn't feel worse than any other shot. You won't need EMLA.

4. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Sean uses emla for pump sites in his tummy, but prefers to pass on the emla for Dex sites. Sometimes he says he barely feels the Dex going in and other times (most times) he says it stings going in and for a few minutes after.
    But the emla irritates the skin on his bottom (makes him itch terribly) where we put sites and he would rather not use it. It doesn't have that effect on his tummy though. :confused:

Whatever makes her most comfortable is the key in my opinion.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

FWIW, the Dex needle is the same length as the MM needle, but skinnier. :)