- advertisement -

EMF's relating to diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, May 13, 2010.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Does anyone know of any studies in to EMF?s and links to T1? I am curious after looking in to EMF?s in my local area and am left wondering if the ?pandemic? (to coin the phrase) that is T1 is being sped along at break neck speed by all our advances in technology. Computers, faxes, cell phones, lap tops, cordless phones, microwaves, TV?s etc. All these things in our houses emitting EMF?s when back in the 50?s you?d be lucky to find a TV (let alone 3 with a video/DVD attached to each). And yes, T1 has been around forever, but not at the level we see today.

If it?s been on the incline since the 50?s and technology has been advancing rapidly since then. Surely somebody has looked in to this. Personally I think this could explain clusters developing, the more money you?ve got the more gadgets you have ? and even us, with the few things we?ve got, we?re still being bombarded by what the neighbour has.

Any info would be great and thoughts are welcome too.

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Interesting question. I just did a pubmed search on "electromagnetic field diabetes" and found just two articles by a single author advocating for considering the effects of "dirty electricity" (a/k/a "electrical pollution" - essentially excessive electrical fields bleeding into the environment from all of our electrical equipment) on BG levels in certain people (defined as "electrically sensitive") with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Doesn't seem to be any suggestion of disease causality, though. And, so far as I can tell, this author is the only one talking about it.

3. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Well, I do not think this would increase auto immune diseases but who knows.
    Before my daughter was diagnosed we only had 1 tv with one vcr/dvd combo and 1 cordless phone. No computer, cell, microwave,etc.

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

no clue, but I think environment has some part in things. 3 kids on my block all have D and while I don't know the exact number, I'm thinking no less than 15 within a 2 mile radius of my house do as well. There has been a new dx every year at Sam's school since he was dx'd

5. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Bummer I was hoping the someone would know something.

We don't have a lot of gadgets at home but are surrounded by neighbours with them coming out of our ears and it's just the more I look in to the whole thing, the more I am left wondering.

Whilst I don't think it would cause t1 I wonder if it's contributing to the earlier onset of it if you're predisposed.

I know that insurers won't cover councils for fall out from these towers or EMF's and word in insurance circles is that they think they'll be the next asbestos.

I am surpised someone hasn't looked in to it further. We're having millions times more exposure to them than our grandparents, if EMF's can raise your body temp, contribute to cancers on the head and groin (from cell use and storage) and mess with your immune system then why hasn't someone done some kind of study on this relating to T1?

There is an interesting article on EMF's in the American GQ a few months back for anyone who is interesed in reading it - you can get if on line on their web site.

And if anyone does have some independent research I'd love to read it because the only info I can find seems to be paid for by the telcos and that's not realting to diabetes.