- advertisement -

emergency supplies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gerry speirs, Mar 17, 2011.

1. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Has anyone ever contacted their Insurance company to see if they provide an allotment of supplies in case of emergencies. In light of recent tragedies, Japan/New Zealand/Haiti, the earth is such an unforgiving place with very little warning. Without making this post too dramatic, does anyone keep an emergency kit on hand and if so whats in it/how much?

Thanks....

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I have an emergency D kit. It has about 2-3 weeks of pump supplies, back up syringes and a glucagon, tester, strips, ketostix etc., etc. I'd have to grab the insulin on the way out, but everything else is packed.

I put this together for the emergencies that are most likely to hit us: fire, long term power outage, a tree falling on the house, not in anticipation of flood, or tsunami, or earthquake. And no, I've not contacted our insurance company about emergency supplies.

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well, it depends on the emergency. In case of fire, I'd have to leave pretty quickly so I have a small D kit in the car--just a couple of weeks of sets, resevoirs, meter, etc. This assumes that the surrounding infrastructure is in tact--like the pharmacy and hospital is still available to help.

Things like shelter in place/radiation/don't leave your house situations gives us access to our stuff and I've got many many months of supplies on hand at all times.

Things like a power outage while I'm at work means the fridge would be out for a few hours but still closed and cold, so the insulin would be fine until I can put it on ice. I would like to get a frio pack though for extended power shortages.

We don't get tornados, earthquakes, tidal waves, major hurricanes, volcanoes, etc. in Northern NJ--our biggest threat right now is property taxes!!:D

4. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

We are only 5 months into this so we don't have a huge supply of extra supplies. We are trying to work on it though. Not because of earthquakes or floods etc. We live in the desert our only real weather concern in the monsoon season with the occasional power outage. I'm more worried about job loss or short term emergency. Even illness when you have to test more often.

We are lucky in the fact that our insurance allows us to fill ds prescriptions every 23 days. So I mark my calendar and fill them every 23 days whether we need them or not. This is mostly for test strips and lancets but we are slowly working on the insulin as well. Once he gets his pump we will try and have extra supplies for that too.

I also try to keep extra supplies like capri sun, glucose tabs, alcohol swabs, etc more for preparedness than anything else. I don't want to have to worry about going to the store in the middle of the night if ds needs to treat a low. I try to keep a 2-3 month supply on hand at all times. These are all located in one area of our house and can be grabbed quickly in case of emergency.

I have not thought of putting an emergency d supply kit in the car though. This is a great idea. I do have concerns however with heat. It gets really hot in AZ during the summer any suggestions on keeping supplies safe from extreme heat (like test strips) while in the car?

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We have a large back up supply. We used to fill pump supplies for 2 days site changes even though we went longer. Now she does two day site changes so we'll never get any further ahead there. We also fill all scripts at 23 days. We had the Endo write for extra strips and insulin. Now she needs the extra insulin. Its nice not to have to get a new script as her needs increase.

Its probably much easier to get your endo to write a script for a bit extra every month than to try to get your insurance to cover extra for emergencies.

My DD is a counselor at D camp. D camps often give extra supplies to campers and staff. We got a lot of extra insulin there because we are the only family using Apidra. They didnt have anyone else to give it to.

We keep a 72 hr emergency kit (backpack for each child). My daughters pack has D supplies in it (except insulin). Other family members have their meds in theirs. We change out the food, meds, and D supplies once a year.

I keep an empty duffle bag and a luchbox cooler in the bottom of my D closet. If I ever needed to leave in a hurry, the first thing I'd go for is the D cupboard and our insulin.

Otherwise we have a D pack with every basic supply we keep stocked for overnights or out of town. We also bring it on ATV trips, in case of emergencies in the mountains. Its about the size of a lunchbox.

We do live in an area where an earthquake is supposedly long overdue.

ETA: No parent of a child should read the book "Lucifer's Hammer." Its all I thought about the first night in the hospital at DX. It's why I'm kind of crazy about my stockpile.:eek:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can build up supplies by filling the day you are eligble. I built up insulin by refilling every 24 days, rather than 30. At one point, my son used a lot of sites and strips. He doesn't need so much any more, but I still get the same amount when I reorder.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

We do the same thing.

ETA: Early on, I called our insurance company to ask about receiving a backup vial of insulin and they told me that we would have to pay out of pocket for anything over the prescribed amount. It was then that I decided to start stockpiling the best I could.

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

This has been in my mind the last few days. I realize how unprepared I am in case of emergency (most Japanese families have an emergency earthquake bag with some a couple of weeks worth of food, etc. ready to go in their foyer). I should prepare something like this.
    Being in the Philippines, I am now very fearful of a major flood (search "Ondoy" if you don't know what happened last year, or was that two years ago?)

The emergency pack should also have a waterproof insulin pouch in case the emergency's a flood, extra tape/tegaderm to put in the site, syringes, novopen and needles...oh, i can think of a dozen more things... I'll need an emergency suitcase!

9. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I get all my DD's scripts per mail order. You get a 90 day supply. I try to fill on time and now I have a lot of extra supplies of most things. After the Japan disaster, I plan on keeping even a little more ahead as I was holding off on my next reorder to use up some supplies and save on the copay. I meant to call today but forgot.

10. skimom

skimom Approved members

Our endocrinologists write all prescriptions " as needed" - so we never have to deal with maxing out on supplies. I always refill when we are down to about 1 month supply of stuff. I keep a pack of juiceboxes in each car as well as granola bars and fruit leathers. I will also keep some of those mini packs of cereal in the car ( I keep them in the pockets on the back of the seats so they are readily accessible. Each kid has "diabetic drawers" in their closet - those small "plastic rubbermaid " drawers you get for crafts - easy to grab and they contain everything . I also keep a binder with copies of anything the doctor( orders, info , how tos, letters etc) has given me for each child with our medicine cabinet. We always keep levemir on hand for pump failures ( enough for at least a month per child). When we go on holidays, it all goes in the diabetes duffle bag along with a small cooler bag for insulin.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We do tend to have some stockpile, as I do fill when needed or at least before I need them but what I don't have is a quick and easy way to take them anywhere, you know?

I live rather remotely so I always joke that MY house will be where everyone else evacuates TO, and it's kind of true. I really can't think of that many scenarios where I would have to LEAVE in a hurry...but people always talk about stuff like that I get paranoid/scared/anxious that I'm not ready. But truly, I can't think of any reason my family would need WEEKS of food and supplies at an easy ready.

I have a few weeks of insulin supplies most of the time. Plenty of food, a generator, heck we even have a trailer we could live in if something happened to our house (and there is emergency insulin in there too, including lantus, not because I'm prepared, because I'm lazy and never took it out on our last trip).

Fires probably freak me out the most, but that's not a national type disaster, so Walgreen's could still take care of us, right?

Threads like this do tend to make me anxious, but it's good to work through the need. When my son was diagnosed, that was a very big focus of grief for me, that he was now completely dependent on pharmaceuticals to LIVE. I hate that.

12. truck2ff

truck2ff Approved members

We've managed to stock up a fairly decent amount of extra supplies and insulin also. Gratefully our endo keeps our script for lantus open even though our son pumps with novolog. (for swimming) We get vials and cartridges and can fill resevoirs from both and we've used his novopen occasionally when we lost a site or had a pump issue. The extra supplies give me piece of mind and it also came in handy with a teenager with D that I crossed paths with awhile back. (much Thanks to everyone here at CWD even if that didn't turn out as well as we hoped:()

I keep all of the pump supplies, extra meters,strips, pen needles etc in a large rubbermaid tub in our closet. I could grab it and the insuln in the fridge fairly fast.

I haven't read Lucifers Hammer,but know the general storyline. I had read "One Second After" though and it made me really think. I have a small portable fridge/cooler that runs on propane, ac current or dc current. my justfication was camping, but that wasn't the only thing on my mind.:)