advertisement

Ellen - How's the gluten free-dom going?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by aklap, Apr 18, 2009.

1. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hope things are going well!

:D

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

So far so good - but it's only been a few days and I still had a migraine in there. How long until my energy level improves? I need to learn about the addititives in processed sauces to look out for.

3. aklap

aklap Approved members

Everybody responds differently. It could be days - weeks - months. Neuro issues can often take a bit of time [weeks to months] to resolve. Somethings you may not notice until one day you realize..."hey, I don't have _________ any more".

When starting out on the GF diet, it's very helpful to strip your diet back to "whole foods" - foods that are processed minimally or not at all. Think simple... If you'd like a further explanation on this, click here.

Keep at it!!

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I have to say this has so far been very humbling. Today at work there was a pot luck - I put a spoonful of tabouli on my plate and then realized what I did. There was a flourless chocolate cake but I passed on dessert. I am definitely eating less - not sure if my appetite has diminished or if I've been too busy to really think about getting more food. I do like the Nut-Thins crackers.

I picked up some Mrs. Leepers corn spaghetti at the grocery store but put it down deciding I should look up opinions before I buy that kind of product. And the only gluten free bread I saw at the grocery store had freezer burn.

5. aklap

aklap Approved members

The process of switching over to GF is not quick or easy. You've been NGF since you've been born - changing a lifestyle and habits take time. Mistakes will be made - you just learn from them and move on.

Dining out/social situations are the hardest to adapt to. Unless you bring something yourself, everything else is pretty much a question mark. The Gluten Police say..."All food is guilty until proven innocent" ;)

Yeah those Nut-Thins are addicting!

I've got a Mrs Leepers in the cupboard. I believe one of the restaurants at Disney World used Mrs Leeper's pasta for a dish. It was good.

If you have a Trader Joes near you, I really like their pasta. Schar pasta is really good. BiAglut is fantastic - but very very expensive. Tinkyada is good too.

GF bread - yeah, well - most is crappy. If you have a health foods store, often times they will have local GF bakeries that will have some fresh GF bread.

Hang in there!! Sounds like you're doing well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Super Target sells GF Van's Waffles for $1.84ish a box -- I eat them every morning.

And I second Trader Joe's pastas, they're the BEST! And cheapest! They really good GF frozen banana waffles, brownie and pancakes mixes.

Good luck, Ellen. It's about having lots of snack/food choices at home. Otherwise you'll starve!!!

And I HATE eating out and potlucks, it's virtually impossible.

7. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Yes, Trader Joe's pastas are good but we like Mrs Leeper's too. Actually the whole family does. There is a another brand of pasta--looks like the word Tinkertoys so that's what we call it--that we love, too. I've made no boil lasagna with their lasagna noodles many times to the delight of my family. Yum! In fact, I made some of their GF spaghetti noodles for my DD's Lacrosse Team Pasta Night at our house because one of the girls on the team has Celiac. She loved them! (Little did the whole team know that the meatballs I made and the pasta sauces were GF, too!) It felt good to do this for the young lady--otherwise she doesn't eat anything but salads at these events.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm trying not to buy too many snack foods but Kozy Shack puddings are delicious. Fresh fruit is too - and lately navel oranges are aweome (although as a Floridian I sometimes feel funny about eating California oranges)

Today's food - I thought I'd be ok with sushi if I left off the soy sauce. Well it turns out it has "grain vinegar". I assume that has gluten?

Then driving home today I thought "How can a Jewish mother no longer eat mushroom barley soup?" ;) and rye bread. Well I'm learning how.

Thanks too for the tip re Mrs. Leepers. Have you tried the Quinoa brand pasta? They have that at our grocery store too. http://www.quinoa.net/1972.html

VERY unfortunately, we do not have Trader Jacks here. I've begged them to come here more than once :cwds: via email.

I didn't know my respect for every person with celiac could grow so high so fast- I always had admiration but this is truly a remarkable hurdle you leap over daily. KUDOS TO YOU ALL.

9. aklap

aklap Approved members

LOL

That vinegar should be distilled. The distilling process removes gluten [should there be any]. Most times vinegar is made from corn [which is GF anyway]. Malt vinegar is off limits period.

Read thru this: http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/vinegar.html

http://glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#vinegar

Hmmm, barley - that's gonna be hard. The rye bread - there are some GF Mock Rye breads out there ;)

I tried the Q pasta when I first went GF. I don't think I liked it. I probably should try it now - your palate changes after you've been GF awhile. Some people really like Q pasta. Get a box and give it try! :)

GF pasta tip: boil it on LOTS of water and do not leave the pot. Constantly stir it and test it for doneness. GF pasta turns to mush quickly. I usually cook the Tinkyada pasta for about 6 minutes - however I like my pasta al-dente' [means "to the tooth" = not mushy].

http://italian-pasta.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_cook_glutenfree_pasta
    http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/tuscan_chicken_e.html

Our closest TJ's is 1.5 hrs away in Milwaukee or Madison, WI. :( We live in a small [<8,000] town, so we don't have a lot of selection locally. We have travel 20 - 40 miles to find the best selection.

Believe it or not - it becomes second nature. It took me about 3-6 months to become comfortable with my food choices [this was before updated labeling laws that declared wheat - we still have to watch for barley, rye or oats]. It took me 1 year before I felt fully comfortable and integrated into the GF lifestyle. After almost 6 years, it's "normal" to me/us. I have a hard time remembering what NGF life was like.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

This new gluten free lifestyle continues to be humbling and eye opening. I went to PF Changs last night and asked what was GF on the menu, and the waiter brought the GF menu and then said "I'm sorry". He's sorry? I also asked if they had an GF beer - waiter looked at me like I had 3 heads. I told him 5 stores down in the plaza is a Whole Foods - they should buy some there for their customers.:p Apparently people don't know what to say. Then a different waiter brought the dessert choices platter later and described each dessert and said "I don't know if you'll like the GF flourless chocolate dome unless you're gluten free". (I was too full to order dessert. Everyone else at the table shared the banana wontons and loved them.) As an adult it's easy for me to make the choice, and perhaps because it's so new, I'm not even tempted. However, I can imagine what it feels like to a child when the rest of the table enjoys something they really can't have, especially a child who is asymptomatic.

BTW, the GF lemon scallops were good, a huge portion - but the sauce was a little thick (corn starch?) I don't like goopy sauce but I'd order it again and ask them to go light on the sauce. My daughter had the non-gf scallops and my girlfriend tasted both and thought the non GF was better.

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Cheesecake Factory was less accommodating tonight so I ordered broiled fish and steamed vegetables, and a bowl of fresh strawberries for dessert. I'm not sure they actually cooked it in a different area but that seemed the best option. What do you order when a restaurant doesn't offer gf?

12. aklap

aklap Approved members

Some people will eat...nothing... Some people don't eat out at all.

Me, when I'm in situations like that it depends what type of place and the answers I get. Yes - you have ask a zillion questions...

I generally start by saying "I have an allergen order. I'm allergic to wheat". I hate using that phrase, but it's what people understand. I'll watch to see if they write anything on their order pad. If they don't I'll ask them if they could write that on the order so there's no confusion in the kitchen.

Most generally, I get a plain salad - no dressing and no croutons ;). I'll ask for a wedge of lemon or vinegar/oil [not malt vinegar!], or eat it plain. I used to bring my own dressing along with me, but over the years, I've gotten lazy.

Fresh fruit is always a fave - if it's available.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  13. aklap

aklap Approved members

It sounds like this waiter is some piece of work. What poor customer service. ACK! It's not rocket science to figure out what to say.

Guest: "Can I have a GF Menu"
    Waitstaff: "Why of course, we have a nice GF menu. I think you'll be able to find something that you like!" [It's been awhile, but PF Changs does have a nice menu!].

Dessert sounds like a real debacle! Good grief... From what I've heard, the GF dome is good.

Yeah, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a child and have to deal with this. I'm not sure who it'd be harder on...the child or the parent. :(

I have had the Lemon Scallops - they were good. Yes, from what I remember, they are probably thicken with cornstarch.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  14. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

It's tough with a child with Celiac and eating out. We stick to place we know have a GF menu or know what is GF. McDonald's it's a side salad with ranch dressing and yougurt parfait-minus the oats. T knows exactly what to order. Daycare provider always makes sure she gets a Happy Meal toy, too! But it does make me sad. I know it'll become harder for her. Thankfully we've never encountered a wait people such as the ones you did! Yikes!

15. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

hi ellen-

i think this thread is very interesting and i am anxious to see how this goes for you.

do you have an uno's chicago grill near you? we went there the other day and they have a really good GF menu. we got riley the pizza (which she didn't eat, she opted for a bowl of broccoli leftover pancakes that i brought from home) but we all tried it and thought it was good. they also have GF beer there. that's the first place i have seen that on the menu.

jessica

16. BrendaK

Cheesecake factory is the worst. I had a plain chicken breast and broccoli -- totally plain, not even any seasonings -- the chef said it all had gluten. At least they made sure I was getting GF!!!

And all of the cheesecakes, even the plain one had gluten in them. I hated just sitting there while my family devoured their dessert! I ate the whipped cream off the top ;)

I rarely go out to eat, it's really hard.

17. aklap

aklap Approved members

Me too! :)

18. aklap

aklap Approved members

I'm confused...:confused:

19. BrendaK

At the Cheesecake Factory -- they said the seasonings they put on the chicken breasts had gluten in them so I had a plain grilled chicken breast and plain cooked broccoli -- there was nothing else on the menu they said I could have.

20. aklap

aklap Approved members

Ahhhh just the seasonings. Got it! I thought it was the chicken and broc. too.

It's really frustrating when manufacturers take a food and mess it up by adding gluten.