- advertisement -

Edgepark and Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brima, May 15, 2012.

1. brima

brima Approved members

We have to get all our DME through Edgepark. We get the Pods with them (only one order so far so didn?t know if I was going to have problems or not). We had started the process to get the Dexcom and finally, we received it last week (Monday) and set it up right away. We had already done a trial so I knew how to work with it. Well, with the initial kit we got one box of 4 sensors. If you use the sensors the way they are prescribed, which is to last only 7 days, it means that one box will last 28 days?..simple math, right? We are going on vacation the first 2 weeks of June to Puerto Rico so I figured I would call and set it up to receive our order BEFORE we leave, which is June 2nd. The lady on the phone told me that they cannot ship another box until AFTER the 28 days. The next shipment was scheduled to go out on June 4th. That makes no sense whatsoever!!!! I am currently trying to use the sensors longer than the 7 days, but they don?t know that. On their schedule we would have a lapse between sensors. That?s ridiculous.

Is it possible to receive more than one month supply at a time? How can they not understand that it makes no sense to wait to send the next box? Luckily we won?t have that problem with the Pods because we get 5 boxes every three months even though we mostly change it every three days. This is very frustrating. I know we lived without a cgm for more than 3 years, but now that we have it?.sigh.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Have you contacted your insurance company to see if they can authorize an override? Edgepark (and other suppliers) can only do what the insurance company allows.

3. suz

suz Approved members

We get our Dex sensors from Edgepark and get a 3 month supply. It may be the way your prescription is written .....

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we also get a 3 month supply, and have our script written for changing every 5 days so we get 4 boxes for 3 months. This way if one comes off too early then we do not end up short.

I beleive that if the script is changed then you can have a shipment on the new RX, i think.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You can also restart your sensors. We always do and usually get 14 days out of each one

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you can get a restart or two on your sensors it will allow you to get ahead of the 28 day ordering schedule.

However I've never had a problem ordering supplies a week or two before the date I was due to run out - I don't have the same insurance however.

7. brima

brima Approved members

As Christina suggested, I called our insurance (BCBS) and the lady told me that with DME they don?t have the time restriction. She was going to call Edgepark so they could have it on record. I also called our Edgepark sale rep and left him a voicemail. If he doesn?t return the call then I guess I?ll call the main number again and see if we don?t have problems again. I also plan on asking him if we need the 3 month supply prescription or if we can just get it that way.

Yes, we are restarting the sensor. We only started last week, so on Monday I restarted the same sensor and it did work. The numbers are still good, comparing them with our meter. I?m hoping to get at least an extra week out of it. On that same line, what is an ?acceptable? difference between the dexcom reading and our meter?

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Well, CGMs are not suppose to replace finger sticks but they have can some close numbers. Meters can be 20% from the real value themselves. So a sensor can have a 10-13 delay of the true blood sugar. That being said I feel if the reading is no more than 20 points off that is 'okay' Prefer it closer.

9. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

We use Edgepark for my husband's Type 2 supplies and had a problem at first because they couldn't do the math - 30 days in a month but packaging that held 50 strips or 100 lancets. They thought he shouldn't get things as often until I spoke with someone and they figured out a way to make it work. Either the prescription needs to be changed or you need to start with a special 'fill-in' order to cover gaps.