advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating disorder

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maya's grandpa, Jan 29, 2018.

1. maya's grandpa

maya's grandpa Approved members

Maya is 12, dx'd at 2. She is on the Medtronic 640 pump. She is also very strong willed, to the point of being obsessive compulsive. She gave up ALL carbs, sugar, etc, a few months ago. Her current diet is a hard boiled egg at each meal. That is it! She has been hospitalised for DKA, but, even there, refused to even sip a Coke, to help flush out the ketones. She also has a needle phobia, and had to be anaesthetised so that they could put her on a drip. It is an ongoing nightmare. We can't force feed her, that is obvious. Any suggestions would be very very welcome. It is as though her desire to eat anything has just been switched off. We think it is more about having control, than actual dietary requirements. Help, anybody! Even when we tell her that she could die if she goes on like this, she says that that is fine. It is that bad. We don't know which way to turn. In every other way, she is a charming young lady, and is very hard working at school. It is the eating that is the problem.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You didn't say if she's under the care of a counselor and psychiatrist that are familiar with diabulemia? That would be first in my attack on it.

I hope you find the help you need.

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. maya's grandpa

Thanks for the input. Yes, we have made an appointment with a suitable psychiatrist, but he can only see her in March, which seems an awfully long way away right now. I don't know if there is anything we can read up on, in the meantime. Any suggestions welcome.

4. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

March is a long way to wait can't you find someone else? Or contact the psychiatrist you found and explain that this is an emergency? Also I would recommend finding a family psychotherapist apart from the psychiatrist.

5. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Why a psychiatrist and not a psychologist? The psychologist or counselor is going to be much more trained in therapy, which is probably needed here. Usually the endocrinology department has a psychologist/counselor that works with them and is well versed in dealing with these types of issues. Have you spoken with the endo's office about this? If these behaviors were going on while she was in the hospital, someone really should have called in a consult. I agree, it sounds as if this needs to be addressed sooner than March.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

rgcainmd likes this.
  7. maya's grandpa

Thanks for the advice. We have decided against the psychiatrist route, and are going to go to a suitable psychologist, as soon as we can get an appointment. Will follow up on diabulimiajhelpline. Much appreciated, as always.

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Psychiatrists and psychologists are equally trained in psychotherapy. A psychiatrist is, in addition, a physician with a degree in medicine (MD or DO) and prescribes medications when indicated, which is something a psychologist cannot do. I’d go with an MD. Disclaimer: I am a physician and surgeon specializing in Psychiatry and Neurology.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

I agree her Endo should be able to call in a request to get her seen very quickly. If she is actually only eating an egg 3 to 5 times a day that is a max of 500 calories a day, she will be very very thin very quickly. She does need to be seen quickly call her primary and Endo they can get her in to see someone quickly.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry to hear she is struggling. I agree with the others that she should be seen by a therapist asap. As to the title of your thread, my guess is that this is less about an "eating disorder" and more about her dealing with having Type 1. She has been living with this for 10 years and could be seriously burnt out. I have a feeling that if she can learn to accept her illness and maybe learn some behavioral coping mechanisms, her "eating disorder" will resolve.

Good luck,

rgcainmd likes this.