advertisement

Eating Dark Chocolate May Be An Efficient Way To Keep Your Weight Down Over Christmas

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ellen, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Eating Dark Chocolate May Be An Efficient Way To Keep Your Weight Down Over Christmas

11 Dec 2008

New research at the Faculty of Life Sciences (LIFE) at the University of Copenhagen - shows that dark chocolate is far more filling than milk chocolate, lessening our craving for sweet, salty and fatty foods. In other words, eating dark chocolate may be an efficient way to keep your weight down over Christmas.

We have known for a long time that it is healthier to eat dark chocolate, but now scientists at the Department of Human Nutrition at LIFE, University of Copenhagen, have found that dark chocolate also gives more of a feeling of satiety than milk chocolate.

Chocolate experiment

To compare the effects of dark and milk chocolate on both appetite and subsequent calorie intake, 16 young and healthy men of normal weight who all liked both dark and milk chocolate took part in a so-called crossover experiment. This meant that they reported for two separate sessions, the first time testing the dark chocolate, and the second time the milk chocolate.

They had all fasted for 12 hours beforehand and were offered 100g of chocolate, which they consumed in the course of 15 minutes. The calorific content was virtually the same for the milk and dark chocolate.

During the following 5 hours, participants were asked to register their appetite every half hour, i.e. their hunger, satiety, craving for special foods and how they liked the chocolate.

Results

Two and a half hours after eating the chocolate, participants were offered pizza ad lib.

They were instructed to eat until they felt comfortably satiated. After the meal, the individuals' calorie intake was registered.

The results were significant. The calorie intake at the subsequent meal where they could eat as much pizza as they liked was 15 per cent lower when they had eaten dark chocolate beforehand.

The participants also stated that the plain chocolate made them feel less like eating sweet, salty or fatty foods.

So apart from providing us with the healthier fatty acids and many antioxidants, dark chocolate can now also help us steer clear of all the sweet, salty and fattening Christmas foods.

----------------------------
    Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.
    ----------------------------

For more information please contact Research Assistant Lone Brinkmann Sørensen, Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences (LIFE), University of Copenhagen.

Source: Lone Brinkmann Sørensen, LIFE
    University of Copenhagen
    Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/132653.php
    Main News Category: Obesity / Weight Loss / Fitness
    Also Appears In: Nutrition / Diet,

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

It would work for me because I would be vomiting with a migraine after eating dark chocolate.:rolleyes:
    Allene

3. KTurner52

KTurner52 Approved members

Thanks for giving me another excuse to eat more dark chocolate:)

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I'd have eaten it in 15 seconds.
    Ok I'm going on the dark chocolate diet

5. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

My first thought was 'why did it take them so long to eat the chocolate?' Also I love dark chocolate so this is a 'diet' I could get behind.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Wooo Hooo, I'm going to go get myself a square of the HUGE dark chocolate bar I have stashed in the cupboard :D

7. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Heather, I told you. I'll be your cheerleader. [​IMG] Go Heather Go, Go Heather GO!

8. irenehlm

irenehlm Approved members

I must not be doing this right then, because I've been eating dark chocolate since Thanksgiving and my weight's been going up! Maybe I should try this again . . .

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Im the only one in my house who likes dark chocolate..mmmmm.

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I recall other studies on dark chocolate - and there has to be NO milk or milk solids in it whatsoever to get the antioxidant benefit...so be sure to check the ingredients. My personal favorite is Valrhona Manjari (in bulk). I chip off a small piece and it's very satisfying...I don 't need a lot of it. Anyone else have a favorite? I buy mine in the cooking/bulk chocolate section at Whole Foods. They're nice enough to let customers sample.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Awhile ago I bought a package of Hershey's all natural extra dark pure dark chocolate 60% cacao. It said 480 mg of flavanol antioxidants. It is little individual packaged squares.

Now I read the ingredients and it says semi sweet chocolate (chocolate, suagar, cocoa, milk fat, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, natural vanilla flavor, milk).

So maybe this is false advertising by Hershey do you think Ellen? It has milk in it. :confused: I forgot I even had it in the cupboard and haven't been eating it.

Interesting on the back is a bar chart. It says 1 serving has basically the same "total antioxidant capacity" as one cup of blueberries.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I don't know Laurie. It's a great question.

Here's one abstract from Nature. Perhaps the chocolate contains the antioxidants, but the body is not able to properly absorb them in the presence of milk?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v424/n6952/full/4241013a.html

Plasma antioxidants from chocolate

Mauro Serafini1, Rossana Bugianesi1, Giuseppe Maiani1, Silvia Valtuena1, Simone De Santis1 & Alan Crozier2

Dark chocolate may offer its consumers health benefits the milk variety cannot match.

There is some speculation that dietary flavonoids from chocolate, in particular (-)epicatechin, may promote cardiovascular health as a result of direct antioxidant effects or through antithrombotic mechanisms1, 2, 3. Here we show that consumption of plain, dark chocolate (Fig. 1) results in an increase in both the total antioxidant capacity and the (-)epicatechin content of blood plasma, but that these effects are markedly reduced when the chocolate is consumed with milk or if milk is incorporated as milk chocolate. Our findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate in vivo and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate.

Figure 1: Stack of benefits?

Unlike its milky counterpart, dark chocolate may provide more than just a treat for the tastebuds.

13. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Maybe because it does say "dark chocolate" versus the "milk chocolate" it's okay. I'd rather eat a big bowl of fresh blueberries. :D

I was surprised the ingredients said semi-sweet chocolate. All I know is I don't always believe what anything says on the front of the package as marketing/promotional material. :p

14. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I would have loved to participate in this study!!!! :D

BIG dark chocolate lovers here. My sister brought us 20 (yes, 20!!) square bars of my DH's favorite dark Swiss chocolate in early October: Migros Cremant. YUMMMY. Haven't been able to find this in the U.S. though...good thing we are going to Switzerland in January, so we can restock :rolleyes: because we just finished our last bar last week :eek:.

On a side note, Ellen, yes the Fresh Market has very good bulk dark chocolate.

Hmm, I want some chocolate now!!

15. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

So Marisa, can we count on you to become the South Florida distributor of that delicious chocolate? :D

I couldn't get the full text of this article but Marisa - are they looking for you to boost sales?
    http://www.just-food.com/forums/topicView.aspx?catid=11&topicid=5492
    SWITZ: Migros eyes foreign chocolate sales (Just Food)
    Submitted by admin on October 16, 2008 - 2:11am. Migros | Retailing | Switzerland | News
    Swiss retail and food manufacturing giant Migros has announced plans to reorganise its chocolate business with a view to boosting sales overseas

Laurie, here's a blog post you may want to read HAHA
    http://www.thechocolatereview.net/2007/06/13/hersheys-natural-flavanol-antioxidant-milk-chocolate/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  16. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The perfect morning pick-me-up. I just found Shkedia brand bittersweet chocolate covered coffee beans. No time to make a cup of coffee? Eat a few of these! I'm a wide awake.:eek: Shkedia Geva Industries Ltd., Portfolio of products. I found them in the Kosher/Jewish food section of Publix.

17. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Do they taste bitter? Or are they good?

18. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

A little bitter in a delicious way - at least to me. But I also drink coffee without sugar because I like the gentle bitterness taste of coffee (even though bitter/delicious sounds like an oxymororn).

19. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

Thank you Ellen!!! We love you for your tenacious way of bringing us the facts! I need you to explain to the dh why I have to have sooo much dark chocolate before eating, though. Especially since we tell the girls no snacking before dinner. LOL!! I guess I could say it's a European way of thinking. Some places have dessert before dinner!

20. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I used to love dark chocolate up until probably the second or third month of my last pregnancy and then it became a morning sickness trigger. :( I still can't eat it or smell it without feeling nauseous. I guess the bitterness of the type I was eating was a little too much for how sensitive my taste buds were at the time.

I do try to work in a piece or two of milk chocolate with my supper every day, however. Milk chocolate doesn't bother me at all as long as it's sweet! :D