- advertisement -

Dumb things you have done when pumping....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiffanie1717, Apr 10, 2009.

1. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I had to laugh at myself today. We are new to pumping - 2 weeks about. I am getting comfortable with putting in the site and all that entails. I have done some pretty crazy things though that make me question my sanity!! :) Have you done any of these?

1 - I tried to put in the reservoir without rewinding it and as I was jamming it in wondering why it wasn't going in a fountain of insulin was spraying out of the cannula! :)

2- The first site I put in I left the needle cap on and wondered why it wouldn't go in.

3 - Today I forgot to take the sticky stuff off the site before I applying it! Since we use Opsite I almost considered leaving it alone, but thought I better not. I noticed when I saw these 2 little tabs sticking up under the circle of the site. "Hmm...what are those for? I've never seen them before."

I feel like an idiot!! But I guess that is what happens when you're sleep deprived!

Anything better .... or worse? :D

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I have done 1 and 2. The other that stands out is forgetting to prime and wondering why I'm sky high hours later.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The first site change I had to do, I had forgotten to take off the adhesive cover, so I stuck the needle in and wondered why it wasn't sticking. So I had to pull it out and stick her again!

I have forgotten to fill the cannula more than once!

We don't always take the old infusion set off right away. My husband gave Emma a bath one night after I had changed her site that morning, he unplugged her and then didn't know which site to plug her back into! :)

4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I have changed Jacob's site in the morning and didn't have time to remove the old site. If Mom also forgets he might end up going to school with two sites attached. This has happened more than once. I hope the nurse never noticed.:eek:

Jacob likes to remove his old sites himself and if I leave it to him, he might put it off. One time after I downloaded his pump I went to hook him back up and he had two sites. I couldn't remember which one was the new one!:eek: I figured it out because one looked "fresher" than the other.

Now that we know to use baby oil, the sites come off really fast so double sites are now a thing of the past.

5. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

My pump was alarming in middle of night, real tired T was sleeping in bed so thought it was one of his toys. I grabbed it went to throw in across room, when it landed on my eye (i had a black eye for a week)

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! :p

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have bolused my dd multiple times when she is disconnected after ballet of bath.

8. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I'm about embarrassed to say this......:eek: About a month ago, I was in a hurry to get the new site in and DH was filling reservoir and tubing.....We use the Comfort Short sites.....and there is a plastic tube/sleeve thing over needle....Well, I thought I had pulled that off and tried to poke it in....
    Well......I guess I didn't.....and Tress was getting upset with me. :eek: I finally noticed what I had done....OOPS !! I have slowed down on site changes now...and I double check to make sure I take that thingy off.:eek:

9. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Today I unplugged my pump and just put the tubing in my pocket because I was worried about it on the rollercoaster. About an hour after I got off I noticed that I had never plugged it back in :eek:!

10. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

Oops...

I'll join this party...I tried to insert a Quickset without taking off the needle guard. Everyone please take note of this fact: that procedure will not yield a good result.

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I've forgotten to fill the tail of the steel needle set before inserting :eek:

and yesterday I downloaded Rachels new meter from school to co-pilot, and couldn't find any of the BG's until I noticed them through the early hours of the morning.
    I must have set the clock to AM not PM. Luckily it was only 1 week.

12. tiffanie1717

Can I say that I feel better that I'm not alone?? :D :D

13. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I'm really lazy about suspending during baths. I just unplug and plug her back in.

Well I set a combo bolus, forgot all about it, put her in the bath and the second dose delivered while she was in the tub. Disconneccted. DOH

14. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

My youngest was staying with my mom (who has been FABULOUS at caring for my older DD for 10 years). She accidentally put Lantus in my daughter's pump when she changed it out. It did not go well.

15. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I have done number one--tried to jam the reservoir in and had insulin squirting out everywhere! Worst part is, I didn't know right away what happened--I kept saying "Something is WRONG--something is broken!"
    :)

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Left the pump home, and realized it an hour later, an hour from home!

17. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

LOL, I have done exactly the same thing with the Quick-Sets!

The most common thing I have done is forgetting to do a fixed prime:eek:

18. tiffanie1717

Oh my word. I bet that was a mess. How long did it go before you realized what happened?!

19. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I left the cap on a quick-set not once, but twice when we were trying them! :rolleyes: It also took me a good 20 minutes to do a site change and cartridge refill for the first several weeks due to nervousness.