- advertisement -

DS to college tomorrow...tips wanted, needed and appreciated!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Anne, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Anne

Anne Approved members

Hi All,
    Driving DS to college tomorrow. Sure I have packed too many supplies.
    He does not want me to talk to roommate, will let me know about RA. DH and I want to make the RA aware and let the roommate unfold as it will I guess. What do you think, especially those of you who have gone through this ahead of us???
    I would feel better if the roommate was informed, although DS did tell him he has Type 1 and would be supplying the fridge for them as he has to bring his insulin. Not much response from the fellow so I am guessing no D link there.
    Anyone have any great info sheets for roommate and/or RA? Opinions on glucagon lessons for either? Luckily, have not had to use it so far.
    I had some great info when he went to high school shortly after diagnosis but no longer can put my hands on it.
    There is also a faculty in residence. Might be nice to let him know. I just want to be able to have someone aware before we leave on Sunday to come back or I fear I will not rest easy. I want to respect my son's wishes as he will be 19 soon however, he will be 6 hours away in Ithaca. (Anyone live near there?)
    Thanking you all in advance for your help and advice,
    Anne

2. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

I don't have any advice yet because my daughter goes off to college next Saturday, but my thoughts are with you! My daughter is going to dorm, but college is only 40 minutes away, so we will continue to send supplies here. She applied with disability services, hasn't heard anything yet. We plan to touch base with health service by email next week..not sure what to tell RA or roommate yet!
    Good luck!!

3. parsi

parsi Approved members

When I was in college, my parents insisted that I tell my roommate and RA. I have to admit, I think it was the worst decision. My roommate and I didn't really get along and when she found out about my being diabetic, it became terriible. She was totally ignorant and kept telling everybody that she was afraid of getting diabetes from me.That being said, I do think that someone should know how to spot lows and administer glucagon if needed. I lived in a suite with 6 other girls and I told them about the glucagon but I really didn't hold out much hope as I saw their eyes galze over from TMI. Its difficult.

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi Anne,

I hope the whole college drop off thing went fine. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. We were on vacation and I didn't get on the computer much. I think, as hard as it is for us, we have to let our college age kids call the shots on many things....like who to tell about D. I do agree that someone has to know but maybe he'd like to wait to see who he gets to know well enough to tell about D. Alex did tell his freshman roomate but I don't know if he ever told the RA. Now, all his roommates know and other friends. He has shown them the glucagon and we keep it taped to his bed but it's never been used.

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Group hug for all of us sending our kids off to college this year!! gulp.

6. blessed

blessed Approved members

college.....

I am taking my son over to college Sept. 3rd. I can't believe it is here already. Where did the years go? Someone asked him the other day if I was his sister or his girlfriend! LOL I loved it hehe but I am sure going to miss him.
    As for telling his roommate and RA, YES I did. I felt it was a safety issue, and he doesn't care who knows. He is one of those guys who usually isn't picked on. He is 6 ft.3 and 190 lbs. plus he is a clean cut nice kid. So people generally don't give him a bad time about anything. HE is really lucky! But anyways,,,I am having a hard time, and I would love to hear from anyone else in the same boat as we all are with kids leaving for the first time...I am already sad....

7. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Aaron is moving into an apartment on Sunday (not residence) -- a worry -- but he is sharing it with an old friend who already knows about his diabetes and how to treat lows, so I feel good about that. Still, jeez. It's definitely nerve-wracking. Plus I will really miss him!