- advertisement -

DS does get Ketones...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Mar 16, 2011.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

...this is the first time I recall him having anything other then trace in 3.5 years.

He woke up at 6am with a 368 Bg, he was upper 300's at 1:30am, only 1/2 corrected it due to a basketball and lacrosse practice last night (didn't correct the 300 Bg after lacrosse). Also had an expected pod change between practices (dog jumped on him and it tore off), so Bg's were wacky.

Anyway, I didn't wake to the 3am alarm so no check (hate when I do that), check for ketones with that 368 Bg, didn't expect any, as I said before he RARELY gets them, 1.1 (crap). Gave a bolus via syringe, changed out pod thinking that was the culprit. Did have blood in cannula but I ran a bolus through it to see if was working and insulin came out. Gave breakfast when Bg was coming down 237, spiked back to 368 but cleared the ketones, at 10:30 he wanted to go to school, so off I took him. By 11:30 bg was at 191. When I picked him up at 3:15 bg was 56 (wth). Treated and gave a snack, basketball at 4:30 with a 110 bg. Bg after practice 80, snack, Bg 10 minutes later 56 (ugh).

The poor kid is exhausted... Even another mom at practice noticed he looked awful. I know he should have skipped practice but since he wanted to go to school and made it through the day, he didn't want to miss practice. That's our rule, if you miss school then no practice. He just keeps going...

Did I mention that diabetes sucks!:(

Oh yeah, this post was about ketones.:eek:

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

My girls are like that to - they unfortunately are worried about getting penalized if they miss a practice.

I wonder if he might be getting sick? The only time Coco gets ketones (all 3 times) is when her site falls off in the middle of the night or she is getting a stomach bug.

I hope he feels better!

PS - I was thinking about you this weekend when I saw Whipped Cream Vodka :eek:!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sigh ... I hate those days:(

Fwiw, Maddie was dxd in 02' and we never saw ketones even with highs for years, but starting maybe in 09' or last year we began to see ketones more often with any 4+ hour period of insulin disruption. It's a drag, to say the least.

Sorry you're having such a rough day.:(

4. lil'Man'sMom

I am wondering if this is prepubescent related?

5. lil'Man'sMom

He did have a tummy ache but not so sure it wasn't higher Bg related.

:D YUMMY Whipped Cream Vodka!!!

6. essuth

essuth Approved members

My daughter is 9 as well, dx for for yrs, never saw ketones until a year ago, now anytime she is sick--have had several episodes of stubborn ketones that last a couple of days with sickness, even with low bgs or good bgs. Sick-day management is always wacky. Hope he feels better

7. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We had our first episode with Ketones on Sunday night. He had a shower and then supper - BG starts to rise fast - double ups - which was weird as he usually stays fairly low straight after supper. At bedtime he was 180 so I gave a bit of a correction and a temp basal. Two hours later we are still rising, nothing crazy enough for me to start changing out sites so I do another correction and temp basal. 2am he's 360 - so I finally check for ketones thinking there wouldn't be any - there never are... 1.0 - I thought my sleep deprived brain was playing tricks on me. So I go to change the site and discover he never reconnected after his shower - I was bolusing and giving the bed temp basals all night. I was amazed he only got to 360 after 8 (yes 8!!) hours without insulin. He was running super low all day so I expect if he had been connected we would have just been struggling with lows instead.

Don't you just love D! I hope he feels better soon.