- advertisement -

Driving

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Mrs. Russman, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Ben got his learner's permit Tuesday.
    His Endo's recommendation is for Ben to have his blood sugar between 150 and 200 for driving. He says we don't want any hint of a low blood sugar being the cause of a fender bender or other driving mishap.
    Of course he wants to go driving today and his blood sugar is 78...

Edited to add: We got his blood sugar up (above 100) and I let him drive around the park a little while.

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My DD has her permit. Our rule is test before driving if in range above 100 and below 250 she can drive for right now since we are in the car too. However, typically if there is the slightest stresser - car honks at her, sirens (the first few times now only if she has notices she let her speed creep up), or a sudden stop can cause a quick drop. She has been resposible and pulled over tested and usually trade off to me driving. We then discuss what if I am not here what would you do to make sure she is making wise choices. We have found comman sense rules along with cgm.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I drive between 100-300, but of course it depends on other stuff too (like when I last ate)

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I am in no way ready to deal with driving and my diabetic child. It's enough with the non-d one. Had our first fender bender last weekend.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Not below 100, but the upper limit really depends on how he's feeling. If a meal was recently consumed it's not reasonable to say no driving over 200, for example.

We go more by attitude/behavior at that point. Hard to be objective, I realize that, but like all things diabetes sometimes you have to go with your gut.

Our big rule is not to drive if a low is present or likely (i.e., in range but IOB and not much food) AND no driving when you are a jerk because you are high (which is very very apparent in my son).

All our cars have glucose tablets in easy reach.

6. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

My 8-year old was just asking about driving earlier today. She mentioned all the different scenarios that could play out when someone with Type 1 diabetes is driving. Glad we have some time to go before she is allowed to drive. ;)

7. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

my parents really didn't even bring diabetes into it when i got my license. they basically said "Have fun, don't be stupid."

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

So what measures do you take to make sure you're safe to drive?

9. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

lol! when I got my permit my mom took me to drive and once we were done I was like "Oh, I guess I should have checked!" but really I set my own limits based on how I'm feeling... I'll be getting the dexcom some time this week so that will make me feel a bit (no a lot!) safer...

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

To not test before driving is a dangerous thing to do both to you and the people around you. Going on feeling is not the best way to keep track of lows. It only takes a few seconds to test - definitely easier to do than to deal with the havoc that could caused by driving while low.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I agree. It is definitely not worth the risk of losing one's license or of the consequences and guilt of harming or killing another person or their property. It happens. Testing takes 10 seconds. Why wouldn't you? Not all lows are felt at a borderline level or caught in time with a CGM if a fast drop. My daughter has been told that when she's old enough, she will lose the keys if I learn she drives without testing. I won't pay her insurance for irresponsible behavior, either, and she knows it. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

EVERYONE should test before driving. To do otherwise is almost as reckless and stupid as driving drunk. The only exception I have is if I'm wearing CGMS, it says I'm stable above 120, I've tested less than 30 minutes ago and the CGMS was very accurate at that point.

13. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Well here in Australia a lot of endocrinologists and Diabetic Educators say 'don't drive under five'. . . also, if you're pulled over here, and you're low, and trying to bring your sugar up, if the police stop to see what's going on and your keys are in the ignition you can be charged with impaired driving. . .while the keys are in the ignition you can start up the car and drive. I havn't been told, but others have, that if you pull over to treat a low, to take your keys out of the ignition and throw them in the back seat.