- advertisement -

Driving to Florida from Jersey

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

I swear I must be the dumbest person on earth!
    My dad lives in Florida and we were invited. ( his treat) to come see him. The flights are way to expensive so we rented a mini van.
    I drove many times growing up an remember it being really fun.
    Although my t1 2 year old really hates the carseat.. This should be interesting.. Hopefully my other two (11 an 8 yr olds) can keep him happy-ish! Lol
    This is our first d vacation so what do u pack with you .. Exactly.. ? Julien is on the Animas One touch ping doing site changes every 2 days.. Should I bring two bottles of insulin or is that a waste cause now it's out of the fridge? We're going 1 week . Thanks!

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

I think you should bring twice as much as you think you'll need for peace of mnd. If you want to bring two insulins, then you could just put them in a small ice chest to keep cool. If you are renting a vehicle you could even get one with a built in mini fridge and you can get one with built in DVD players to keep the kids happy too lol. Have fun!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We were told to bring 2-3 times what we need. D has its own little suitcase, and we refer to D jokingly but serious as the Uninvited Guest that always comes along. We've made a list that is stored as a document on my computer so that we know we don't forget anything...like glucagon! It's amazing how much stuff we use. I like to make sure we have a prescription at a pharmacy like Walgreens where I can get more if needed. We've had trips recently where the events caused my daughter's insulin needs to triple, and all the spare insulin I'd packed for a week was in use. On the next trip 1.5 weeks later, I took 4 vials to be safe.

I usually pack Think Like A Pancreas as well, and I was extremely thankful to have it along on our last trip. My daughter was in the 60s and not coming up. I'd given her 4 juice boxes in her sleep, only to have her eyes pop open, hand cover mouth, and take off running. All those carbs ended up down the drain, so I suspended her insulin and read Think for a game plan. She never went below 60, but her insulin was on 10% for hours.

BGs can be unpredictable with travel. I think running higher because of inactivity is normal, but my daughter doesn't on the trip away - excitement is dropping her, so we get beautiful BGs on the trip to our destination. On the trip home, we see higher BGs or increased insulin needs. Butt jumps during rest stops are also an effective way to get the wiggles out and BGs down. Since the butt is such a big muscle, it drops BGs rather quickly as it works.:D

4. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

On another note to keep kids happy the first time we went on a long road trip I collected little things they had not seen .. so it was a bag full of fun new stuff to help entertain them. Just simple coloring books .. cars .. etc. A dvd player was a huge help. Good luck and have fun!!

Crystal

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

At least you have the luxury of space for bringing stuff...that's a plus!
    Bring double of everything you need. We have a bag dedicated to diabetes. Bring extra insulin and pack it in a cooler with freezer packs. You can even throw the strips in there too to keep them cool if you are stopping and it's hot.

In addition to your "usual supplies" bring either pen caps, or syringes and make sure it's enough to cover you if for some reason you need to go on MDI for a few days (if you are waiting for a new pump to be shipped). I would estimate 10 a day just in case.

Bring things to keep the kids busy that are either new (hit the $$ store) or they haven't seen in a while, that will kill a few minutes time on the ride:D

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I always take at least double and definitely an extra vial of insulin. Use a cooler and refill with ice occasionally and stick in a fridge when you get there, should be fine.

Take everything you can possibly imagine needing and double or triple it and you should be good. Let's see.....

Insulin (including lantus/levimir in case of pump failure)
    Syringes in case of pump failure
    Meter kit (I take two full kits with lancing devices etc)
    Lancets
    Strips
    Ketone strips
    Glucagon Kit
    Glucose Gel
    Glucose tabs/juice/skittles, whatever you use.
    Infusion Sets
    IV Prep/Skin Tac etc
    Pump Cartridges
    Alcohol wipes (if you use, we no longer do)
    Dressing/tape for infusion sets if you plan to do swimming

I'm probably forgetting something but that's a start.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

After that long in the vehicle (we regularly take day long trips), we tend to see higher bg's the next day. Not that day - the next day.

Depending on where the site is, you might have to do a change. Sometimes when the site is on his stomach or rear, having the seat belt or actual seat touching all day will be too rough.

We bring enough syringes to cover a few days (enough to get us to a pharmacy however long that would be) and enough insulin for the trip, plus an extra bottle in case it goes bad or breaks. Also a vial of lantus if the pump breaks. The list is probably going to change though, because we're getting mios for trips so we don't lose the serter, like happened at camp twice now.

copied right from my packing list: diabetes supplies: pump, scale, glucagon, test strips, meter, extra meter, lancets, syringes, batteries (meter, pump, scale), poker, site changes, reservoir changes, novolog, lantus, sensors, lidocane, bandaids, IV3000 (site), tegaderm (pump), alcohol pads, sharps container, sil-serters, sen-serter, site covers, manuals, FRIO PACK, MySentry monitor and outpost

(the quantities change based on the length of the trip of course) Last time we went on a week trip, I think 8 days including driving, we left with a full cartridge in the pump, the opened insulin vial, one new one, and one lantus. Bring twice what you need. So, 8 days would be 4 sites, so bring 8. Plus two days of syringes - so at least 10, that wouldn't include corrections or snacks. I figure 10 tests a day if not at home, so at least 70 test strips.
    Have fun!!

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have to do increased temp basals for long trips or my kids BG's go up. They still go up some and I just correct. I always carry two bottles of insulin. I put it in a tupperware container and put it in a small cooler with ice packs. Sometimes we have had to get a small bag of ice on the second day of trip but this isn't a problem because the container we use is air tight and doesn't let any water in. I do put a small wash cloth or hand towel between the ice pack and tupperware container so it is not too cold. Do you have a small DVD player you can take? We usually put a laptop playing movies on top of a cooler in the front center of the middle row. We have a car charger device for laptop also.
    I double or more the amount of sets and cartridges just in case. Also the same with IV Prep wipes. I always carry the little set clips to keep out water if swimming .
    I also carry glucose tablets and liquid glucose, gatorade, and glucagon.
    And of course some snacks.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

don't know if its been mentioned but get an Rx for insulin pens they are 300ml instead of the 1000ml vials. You can draw the insulin out of the pen top just like the vials; EXCEPT do not inject air, it will blow out the stopper and you will smell to high heavan of insulin.

That way you can take 2 or 3 and if one gets broken or compromised then you are not out ta whole vial. You should be able to either get a sample 5pack from then endo or an RX that can be filled in addition to the vial (get both the same month)

10. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

This is not specifically diabetes related, but definitely helpful when traveling long distances with a T1- my sister recently did the same drive with her two daughters and told me about an app that shows which restaurants and rest stops are off which exits. Ill see if I can find the name.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

Not sure if this is the one you are thinking of, but I have one thar does that called AroundMe. Also not exactly D related, I like an app called MyMedical that allows me to keep track of everyobe's medical and emergency info including meds, Dr's names and phone numbers, and surgeries etc.

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Run high temp basal

Just from my experience in the car - we run higher temp basals. We drive from SC to Texas every summer to see my sister.

After experimenting with temp basals starting at 115% - I found out I had to increase his temp basal all the way to 160% to keep under 200!

PEople on this site told me that they increase basal rates for trips over 2 hours. Children often run high with all of the sitting.

Try a low temp basal to start with and keep checking. If numbers are high, you can increase the basal. You can experiment on the way and then hopefully on the way back you will know what temp basal works for you.

Have a great trip.