advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving in NC, learners permit questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by wvchinacat, Jun 5, 2016.

1. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

HI all, we are not new to diabetes, but are new to driving . . . well almost. My daughter has had Type 1 for about 8 years and we are breaching the world of driving this summer. I am looking for information and protocall from others in NC specifically as to what the steps are to get my daughter driving after taking her course this summer. We have already made grades and her A1c a priority. We do not currently have Dexcom - as the cost is extremely high (with our insurance) just to get the most current system.

My questions - for those in NC - because I know that every state has different rules.
    1. Did you have your child's endo sign a form stating she was ok to drive?

2. What form do I use and do I need it prior to taking drivers ed? She is signed up for end of July.

3. Did anyone get their learners permit without having a medical form filled out. I ask this because my husband who has been Type 1 for over 20 years, has never had to get a form signed by his doctor. So why do our kids have to??

Thanks in advance!

Vicki

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I bet your endo will know. You should ask at your next appointment. Or the dmv will know. And the dmv website may also give you the info you need. In our state we have to have a form from our endo, not a big deal.

As for someone with d for 20 years......regulations get stricter as time goes on. I doubt anyone had to "have a form" 20 years ago. Someone has an accident and there's a lawsuit and suddenly we need a form for everything. Lol

We are in the same boat...this summer Ds is eligible for drivers ed...blows my mind!

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Check with your particular State rules but we needed a form from the endo. We got it and took it to the DMV when she was getting her permit and they didn't even ask to see it. Go figure.

4. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter had to fill out a form on the first day of Driver's Ed that asked, among other things, about conditions such as D. That prompted DMV to send a form for the doctor to fill out. I was able to fax it to the dr. And they sent it on to DMV. DMV approved her to drive but lost the original form so we had to get that filled out again...I had been warned by a friend with a T1 child that DMV always loses the form! So be sure to follow up with the teacher because they can't do the driving portion until the form is returned. It set her back a bit on the driving because they had a backlog of kids needing to drive. But I wasn't in a particular hurry for her to start driving Good luck!