- advertisement -

Driver's liscence

Discussion in 'Teens' started by techman93, Mar 23, 2010.

1. techman93

techman93 Approved members

hi, so i'm about to go get my drivers liscence and was wondering what some of you other guys did when you had to let the DMV or whoever know about ur D. i heard some people didnt report it, and some did. which would you recommend i do. i have my permit and i didn't tell the MVA about me having D for over 10 years, and i was wondering if i told them now if they would revoke my permit or keep me from getting my liscence.

Thanks!

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

sorry i'm not sure but at the hospital they said you can still get ur license u just have to test before u drive...... IDK if you have to tell them u have d

3. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

When i went to get my license they have a paper you fill out and it asks if your diabetic. And we put on the paper that i'm diabetic but they didnt put it on my license. but of course it may be different where you live. I would def. tell them tho.

4. mustangamanda8

mustangamanda8 Approved members

dont report it,
    i just got my license,
    and my older brother (who is also diabetic) researched it.
    aparently we have diffrent like curfews and such..

5. diabetesgurl

diabetesgurl Approved members

It actually depends on where you live.
    In Canada, you actually need to have an exam of sorts done by your doctor and be in good control to even be applicable to get your license.
    In the US, i'm pretty sure there aren't regulations as strict as those, but as for New York (where I live) when I registered, (almost 8 years ago) the DMV only required an eye exam.
    As far as safety practices, what i've come to use over the years:
    Glucose Tabs in the glove box
    Roughly two pump set changes in the trunk/glove box for backup
    Always know where your number is at, best to test before you drive and every two hours if you are driving for a long period. Serious accidents can happen if your blood sugar was to go low and you don't feel it, sounds extreme - but I know at least two people that have been in serious accidents because of low blood sugars.
    Also, you may want to speak with your medical professional about protocol in the case of possibly getting pulled over by police and the best way to handle it, in event of emergency.
    If you do not wear a medical alert bracelet, it's best you have one in your wallet, and another new thing people have been doing is having "In Case of Emergency" as a contact in your phone with an emergency contact in your phone.

Pretty much all precautionary, but it's better being safe than sorry.
    (I will tell you though that the extra pump sites have DEFINATLY come in handy over the years)

Good Luck and Happy Driving,
    Kristen

6. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

My driving instructor knows that I have diabetes, for sure. They made me sign a special form (I'm in Canada, maybe it's different in the US, I don't really know) saying that I have diabetes and it could potentially cause a disruption to my driving and I would take the necessary preventative measures associated with it. But that was about it. I don't know if I'll bother saying anything about it for my G2 (my actual license, rather than my written license) but I definitely didn't for the G1. :p

Geez, I should really GET my G2. I'm 18, for god's sake. :p

7. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

This is not what I was told. :S I'm so lost, aha. I don't have to have an exam done, I just have to test before I drive and I'm good to go.

8. PamL

PamL Approved members

We're in Maryland (US). When my daughter applied for her learners permit there was a sign on the desk that said you had to report if you were diabetic. It was a bunch of paperwork and a note from the Doctor. That wasn't so bad, but because the MVA is understaffed it took them 4 months to approve it....GRRRR! We asked what would happen if we didn't report it and they said that if you had a diabetes related accident, they would revoke your license and your insurance company could drop you. We didn't want to take the chance.

Pam

9. hawkxs

hawkxs New Member

I got my license about a month ago (in Michigan) and didn't have to declare anything. The endo gave me a card (now in my wallet) distributed by Lilly that says (among other things :p) that I am not intoxicated, I have diabetes and may be experiencing a low blood sugar blah blah give me sugar blah.

We also have a box on the back that you're supposed to check/color in if you have some sort of medical issue. I probably ought to check it.

I may have needed an eye exam but I already wear glasses so they didn't ask me about that. My driving instructors knew about it and said they didn't know of anything I had to do when I got my license.

I keep fruit snacks in the glovebox and make sure I'm feeling okay before I drive.