- advertisement -

Drivers License - "Medical Indicator"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Jun 20, 2014.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

In Virginia, you can opt to have a "Medical Indicator" on your license stating that you are insulin dependent. A code goes under the "Restrictions" part of the license to identify the disability to law enforcement. I wonder if this is a good idea or not? Yes, should my son ever be pulled over for being low (which we pray never happens) they won't assume he's drunk. BUT does this open us up for higher insurance premiums? Any thoughts? We're just now starting the permit process and I'm really in no rush for ANY of this, lol, but I'd like to know what others thought about this. Thanks!

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

California doesn't have anything on the actual license. Insurance never asked anything about it at all so I don't think it would go up. I don't know if it would be useful or not. If pulled over for a low and the officer saw the tag would they actually know what it meant anyway?

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

It's not the tag but the actual license you carry with you. It's my understanding that there is an explanation on the back of the card explaining the code that's listed under "Restrictions" on the front of the card. This is a new optional thing they just started offering.

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

It's totally up to you but I personally would opt out. EMTs check the glucose of anyone who is altered or acting strange. If you want EMTs to have the best chance of knowing that you have diabetes, wear a standard medical ID. I'm not sure they would read the details of someone's drivers license anyway. JMO.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

If the code just says Type 1 diabetes I'd have no expectation that any officer would know to check for a low anyway.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

Good points. Thanks! I think we'll leave well enough alone. I wasn't comfortable with a "restriction" anyway.