- advertisement -

Dreamfields Pasta

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

Hi,

I have heard that this kind of pasta is much better for blood sugars. My son doesn't eat a whole lot of pasta, but I thought I would try this. I am just curious about how to count the carbs for this. It is 41 grams for 2/3 cup - but then it has all these "protected carbs," so how do I figure out how many carbs to count? This is further complicated because he has been spiking high after he falls asleep so I don't want to mess this up too much.

Anyone have any experience with this - thanks!

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We use Dreamfield's spaghetti all the time...and it works great. We bolus for 5 carbs for 2 oz...there is a little blurb on the box, at least on the spaghetti...that tells you to count for 5 carbs. No BG spikes for us...I love Dreamfield's!

3. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I've been using this pasta for quite a few months now, and it sure is a lifesaver. Regular pasta and rice are two foods my little guy just can't handle. I'm really glad I found it!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Dreamfields didn't work for us at all. It still caused BG issues; but they were just different ones than regular pasta caused.

Hope it works better for you!

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We haven't had success with it either.
    What does work for Hana is the regular brands (Barilla, Ronzoni) that have extra fiber. I find I can bolus up front for the full amount of pasta without her dropping low like we would see with just regular while pasta. And then I run a nominal extended bolus for 3 hours to counteract any spike. Seems to work pretty well.

She had the normal drop in BS and then spike with the Dreamfields. Plus I don't think it tastes that good.

7. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

We use and like Dreamfields. I bolus for 25 carbs for a whole cup of cooked spaghetti noodles and do 50/50 extended bolus for 3 hours. If I didnt do the extended, he will drop low before the pasta hits, then spike later.

Other pastas seem to digest differently and cause inconsistant spikes anywhere from 2-5 hours later. At least with Dreamfields its consistant for us

8. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

It's a YDMV sort of thing. I bolus for Dreamfields the same way I do for regular pasta.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

We tried under-bolusing for Dreamfields and couldn't. She does great with it, we just have to bolus the full amount.

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

The full amount meaning 42 carbs for 2 ounces? If yes...that's so amazing how totally different our kids can be! After all this Dreamfield's talk, we had spaghetti for dinner tonight.;)

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep. But we don't subtract for fiber, so I am sure our carb ratios cover the fiber.