- advertisement -

Dr Phil

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Did anyone watch episode with families suing Warren Retrievers? The company had a mother on the show supporting them. She said their DAD was at home and daughter was at school and dog was agitated so mom called school. Said dog alerted to daughter.

That's not true, right? - dog alerts based on scent, which doesn't happen miles away, right? Sound suspicious to you?

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Yes:), it sounds odd to me.

3. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

It does sound a bit overblown, but... From their FAQ:
    As to how far away a dog can detect a scent, one article at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-sense-of-smell.html shares some stories
    So if the school were close enough, though it still sounds like a bit of exaggeration, I suppose it is at least possible.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Personally, I think this verges on being a load of hooey. It never ceases to amaze me how litigious our society has become...

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

My husband said that Warren Retrievers probably paid the lady to say that. yes the dog's base the highs and lows on scent. How the heck could the dog smell the child when it was who knows how many miles away. Also i think the dog chewing the remote, was just a dog being a dog.

6. Nancy in VA

That same woman tried to "invoke" Robin's words to Dr. Phil, asking why he kept being so negative instead of focusing on her positive story. He saw through her and told her that she may have had a positive experience but he had a lot of people who had a different experience and Warren Retrievers refused to respond, give him a statement, allow him to tour their facility. All they did was send their attorney and this woman who claimed her dog alerted on the child from home. Yeah, definitely, hooey.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Speaking for myself, I trust my daughter's wisely calibrated Dexcom G5 far more than I would ever trust a DAD. Dexcom CGM's do not go to sleep for extended periods of time every 24 hours (if you don't consider pressure lows). Plus they don't ever pee or poop on the carpet, nor do they eat their own vomit or "kitty roca". :wink:

Don't get me wrong: I love dogs and cats, and have both.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

the question is how far away is the school?

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I assume the dog has a dexcom share app running.... :smile:

10. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

I thought dogs were color blind, which means they would not be able to interpret all the color information displayed on the iPhone. Plus, everyone knows that dogs count in base 8 (look at their paws!) so the dog would misinterpret the BG numbers, anyway. Well, I guess if it finished 6th grade then it could covert base 10 to base 8.....

On a more serious note, there was a recent article (I think in Diabetes) which compared dogs to CGMs. Basically, it found that dogs were less accurate (especially in terms of more false positives), and also slower than the CGMs. Sample size was small (maybe 8 dog/human pairs), and I don't remember if they reported where the dogs were trained.

However, I suspect most parents care more about which system is likely to actually wake up their child (especially teenagers) in the middle of the night when BG is dangerously low. Is the kid more likely to sleep through a CGM alarm, or is the dog more likely to sleep though the low BG scent? That's the test that really matters.

Joshua Levy

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Perhaps a dog trained to jump on a kid who sleeps through cgm alarms is the best of all? Our cat turns and looks at my daughter's room when the cgm alarm goes off in the night. She is at least aware that I'm very trained to respond to the thing. Her mother used to bite my daughter's nose when she was low, but alas, that cat met up with a coyote (we think) and this one hasn't alerted.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

It's called "woo woo" am I am no longer surprised by the ignorance of people and their unsurpassed ability to believe in nonsense.

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Yeah, I used to watch dr Phil sometimes. But Ever since the period of time when Dr Phil became obsessed with trying to "fix" Britney Spears, I don't even care to watch. im not surprised he would have something like this on his show. His show may have been ok once, but I don't give him any credence anymore.

14. Nancy in VA

I definitely admit his show has felt more like Jerry Springer recently. It used to be that he would actually dispense advice. Now 45 min of the hour are him refereeing family members screaming at each other.

This one was ok. There were several families that had legitimate complaints with the company and he tried to get a response and a dialogue going and Warren Retrievers basically stonewalled him.