- advertisement -

downloading Navigator

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by buggle, Jan 13, 2009.

1. buggle

buggle Approved members

Is bluetooth the only way to download a Navigator? It looks like it has some kind of port where the strip goes in.

If we can't get built-in bluetooth to work, is there any reason to think that we can get a USB bluetooth adaptor to work, or will we be wasting our money?

We are using a Windows simulator and I know the drivers are an issue. We've tried a lot of different stuff that hasn't worked, but I keep thinking there must be a way... I'm hoping that if we get a USB adaptor and use the drivers that go with it, that it might work, but I'm somewhat doubtful about the whole thing. We're using a PC laptop, but have Linux on it, using Wine to run CoPilot.

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

It would be a waste of your money to buy an external bluetooth adapter.

As I said before, wine will cause the copilot software to boot. But, the registries for the software will not load properly on wine and are incompatible with linux, even if the drivers for the bluetooth dongle were the same on windows and linux. It would not work harmoniously at all. The driver would not install on the registry correctly.

Wine cannot handle drivers, and it will not work.

I have tried other specialized softwares that have drivers within the software and I have booted WINE. It never does work.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What do you mean USB bluetooth adapter? You mean one you buy and plug into your laptop right? My built in bluetooth on my HP laptop never worked and I bought a Keningston USB bluetooth at Best buy. I works great. I use Vista on one and XP on the other. Never tried WINE.

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

But we are talking about it working on LINUX. In order for windows programs to (kind of) work on linux or on a unix system, you usually use WINE.

However, the WINE bootloader does not handle drivers well, if at all. This is because the registries on linux and windows work differently.

Ideally, you are supposed to use WINCOMM compatible bluetooth drivers for CoPilot, such as with the Kensington Bluetooth dongle. Not all built in bluetooth drivers are.

If you want me to, I can send you a WinXP CD with Service pack 3. The graphs look completely different on the computer, so I suggest that you use Winblow$ asap. It does make a significant difference when it comes to dosing. Remember, I was in the same boat as you for awhile, but I changed my laptop to a triple boot (winxp, ubuntu-linux, windows vista)!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Buggle's, mom
    My brother's laptop dual boots in Linux and XP. I could try it on there. Not sure when I will get the chance.
    I love downloading the Navigator. I hope you get it working soon. I think you have 90 days before you loose the data.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

software for Navigator

Hi, I have been reading here for a while now, but just joined the forums. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to download the Navigator. When I called Abbott they said that they would be sending letters out with info about it, and I am getting tired of waiting. I bought the bluetooth, but we can't get it to work. My son and daughter are both on it and we love it, but I want to do something besides scroll and look for trends. My daughter has the Cozmo but I know that the info that I could get from the software for the Navigator would be so much better.

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

There's a thread here somewhere with info on downloading an international version of the CoPilot software that will enable you to download the Navigator. I work at a diabetes clinic and even they still don't have new software from abbott enabling a smoth download of the navigator. We have to go through about 6 steps to get the thing downloaded. At home, I use the international version of CoPilot and it is super easy. I actually print off the reports at home and bring them to the clinic for my daughter's appointments since I know it would take 3-4 times as long to download at the clinic.

I will see if I can find a link to that thread about the software for you.

ETA: I can't find the stupid thread. GRRRR!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That was Monica's link that had the instructions to download the International version.

9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

It got deleted, and it was also edited without my consent.

I would go to abbott germany's website, and just use google translate to get the software and the patch.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wondered why I couldn't find it.:confused:
    Has Abbott not made it available for US yet???

11. moco89

moco89 Approved members

It got FDA approved over 4 months ago.

They are having trouble with their distributors and issues like that, ironically.

They say that the FDA approval was the problem with the distribution of this software, but FRANKLY, I think that is complete BS!

How in the world do companies such as MM, Animas, and other medical device companies are able to have their software FDA approved, by the time of their market debut of a medical device????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think, actually I know, that Abbott is extremely, extremely disorganized, and obviously has some problems-probably with communication and relations with the FDA, which hinders approval for things like software---and also the navigator. The Navigator took forever to get approved by the FDA.

So, frankly, when Abbott says, it hasn't been FDA approved yet, and it's up to the FDA..............It is BS!!!!!! It is way more likely to be their responsibility compared to the FDA.

Other companies manage to get stuff like software approved in a timely manner all of the time...........Abbott doesn't though!

12. Melissata

Mine is in the mail. They are sending the kits including blue tooth out to the people that have been bugging them about it. There were supposed to have been letters sent out last Monday with options for people to check off what they want/need, but even that got delayed again. I got a call from someone telling me that they had just sent me everything and that it was shipped ground UPS, so should arrive by next Friday at the latest. I agree that releasing Copilot is a nightmare of waiting, it was with the Cozmo as well. But I am so happy with the product that I am not going to complain too much. Melissa has only been using it for 2 months though, so the wait was not nearly as long for us as for some of you.

13. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

Melissa, did you get the Co-pilot software? We had our Navigator start on Wednesday and the rep told us what I've discovered they've been telling everyone for months, "there will be a mailing in a couple of weeks."

ps. I found the Abbot Germany site (not too hard, google it) and it does have the co-pilot software with the navigator extension, but I'm going to wait a few more days. I don't know what will happen when I enter an US address in their registration form.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

It works completely fine. Or, you could just make up an address, lol.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We typed in our US address and our name and it worked just fine.

16. abrayome

Oops, I actually found the german version of the Co-pilot software, without the Navigator extension. This german is killing me! Do you know where/how to download the Navigator extension?

17. moco89

moco89 Approved members

There are check boxes for which products you use when you are signing up for the software. You just check "freestyle navigator", and the patch will be the second download under the copilot software download.

18. abrayome

Oh yeah, I just realized it did download! Now I guess I need a bluetooth adapter. Getting a headache... will try tomorrow. THANKS!

19. Melissata

Yes, I did receive it last week, complete with the bluetooth. The letters are supposed to be sent out soon though. I had already purchased a blue tooth adapter so I gave that one to my son to use to download his. He hasn't received a letter yet. Just shows that the squeaky wheel does get the grease. He hadn't called about it, and wasn't all that interested in it. Since I already had the Copilot for the pump, I knew what I was missing!