- advertisement -

Dosing For Sugar Free syrup

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, May 28, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Sophie had 2tbsps of sugar free pancake syrup this morning for breakfast. It was 11g of carbs with 10 of them being from sugar alcohols. I covered her for 10 carbs,but still at lunch she was 238. Should I have covered it differently for the sugar alcohols?

2. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

It's been trial and error for us, but we found I didn't have to dose him at all for the sugar free syrup. It could be the pancakes (or waffles?) that might be causing the high. Were they home made or packaged?

C7

3. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

the pancakes were homemade,and crazy easy.
    All they had was 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats and 1 egg.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've had much better luck using just regular syrup vs the sugar free.

5. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

Our dietician told us to dose for 1/2 the amount of sugar alcohol. So if something had 7 g of sugar alchohol we would count that as 3.5.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Trial & error. It depends on the brand. Some we bolus half, some the full amount & some don't need a bolus at all. We tend to stick to the same brand as much as possible. For that one, we bolus for all the carbs.

7. zoom8942

zoom8942 Approved members

we dont calculate for the sugar free syrup at all, and our 2 rules from endo were no reg pop and no reg syrup. we do however find that things like pancakes and waffles tend to make him higher. think its the food, sits on your belly a long time.??

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We use Cary's sugar free and dose for all of it. I feel that mainly makes up for the fact that we would need to over-bolus for waffles or pancakes. In other words, if she were to just eat the syrup it's likely she wouldn't need insulin. If she were just eating 2 waffles without syrup, it's likely I'd have to dose her for more than the 31 carbs that they are.

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We always get highs hours later after SF syrup. I think for my dd it slows absorption like a high fat meal would.

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

my daughter doesn't even like syrup and she goes high from the pancakes alone. So we usually count them for more carbs than we think they should be.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We just use regular Maple syrup - 1/8th C is 24g and it's a treat and she likes it and it's not full of weird stuff ;)

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We also put it in a small cup and dip the waffle/pancake into it instead of pouring over the top. Same taste but she tends to use less syrup.

13. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I've found anything with sugar alcohols isn't worth the trouble- both from a GI stand point and a dosing stand point. I rarely have syrup and when I do I go light so I just use regular.

14. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I maybe give 2 or 3 for the syrup (so around half of what it says on the bottle) and the rest goes towards whatever the pancakes or waffles are.

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Pancakes are one my son's crazy foods, doesn't matter if he uses SF or regular syrup or nothing, it's the pancake that's nutty. Same with waffles. For my homemade waffles he now takes 10 units PER waffle! Crazy lotta insulin.