- advertisement -

Don't Say "Sugar"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Nov 9, 2013.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Also, for being in public, be clear on your expectations, and discuss your expectations in advance.

* "If we are going to a restaurant, you can test in the car, if you prefer to do this in private. You must test before eating."

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I would just follow your child's lead. My daughter is like a roller coaster when it comes to being private - sometimes she brings it up in public and is really open with it, sometimes she gets all offended if it's mentioned. I just try to roll with it.

As far as testing, I think I say "can you test" or "what's your number" most often, but "Can you test your sugar" or "what's your blood sugar" does come out of my mouth, too. I NEVER refer to it as blood Glucose or BG verbally -- only in writing. If I were to call it anything out loud, I would say blood sugar.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I guess I usually say, "Come here, I've gotta check you," or "What does Dexter say?" I do use the term "blood sugar" sometimes, but most of the time it's just "He was 131."

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I ask did you test or what's your number. Lately she's named the Dexcom Harold and her PDM Philip. So I ask what does Harold say? Or how was Harold today?

5. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

We say "time to check"

6. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

We just say to Gavi 'it's time to test you'. If he's closer to the monitor we ask him to test himself. Plain and simple :)

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I say test you sugar. One time a teacher asked ashleigh what her number was, and it took ashleigh a minute or 2 to realize what she meant LOL!

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

First off, kudos to you for being sensitive to his feelings. I have seen many parents that use their kids as a "poster child" for T1 when it is obvious they didn't want the attention. My son is like yours - very private.

To your question, we've never said blood sugar - I usually say "Did you check" or "What's your number?"

My BIGGEST pet peeve are people that call their T1's "Sugar Babies". That drives me up the freakin' wall!!!!

9. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

haha! My dad will occassionally ask me "how are her levels?" I always have to think for a second as to what he means too

10. Lexie251

Lexie251 Approved members

When people are over or were out in public she will willingly check herself because at 7 and in a small town, she thinks its awesome she can poke herself and take shots. Did I mention she is a girl and a only child for almsot 6 years. She loves the attention. There are days where she gets a little exhausted by it and I just say "you know the routine" or "whats your BS". Only major issue we have come across is Softball practices and games. She is a travel baller and sometimes we run into back to back games, hot weather, or really cold weather. I had some issues asking her constantly is she were ok. She told me to stop cause it was embarrassing her. I told her that I would stop if she promised to tell me if she felt funny no matter what. So I have backed off, until she gices me a reason no to.

11. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

I have enjoyed this thread, thank you for all the replies. I read some to my son, and love the thought of naming the meter - my son, not so much :) I am trying very hard to follow his lead, it's just that right now, being new, it's like walking on eggshells. I don't know every word or thing that might embarrass him or might not be acceptable. We are working through it, but I love having input on the language we might use (which seems important to him).

12. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Oh gosh, we say all kinds of things.

Her Dexcom has kind of got a personality now, so I usually ask her "What does Dexie say?"

If my husband tests with her, I'll ask him, "Where is she?" which is kind of funny, but he knows what I mean by it.

She started using "BG" at camp, so we say that a lot, "What's your BG?"

Because she wears the Dex, I often am specific and will ask her to "do a finger stick" so she'll know I don't want her to simply look at the reading on the Dex.

She was a bit shy at first, and once in a while in public settings she can be sensitive about it, but mostly she just dives right in. When she does get shy, I just do my best to be sensitive and respectful to it in the moment until she feels comfortable again.

I think you are doing the right thing by letting him take the lead on this.

Whenever I am managing my daughter's diabetes, which granted, I've only been doing since March, I try to keep this blog post in mind

In Death She Taught Us Our Greatest Accomplishment

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Something jumps out from that, the "walking on egg shells..." part.

Maybe your son is looking to you to tell him just how much space/grief/import this disease is allowed to have? It's just my opinion, but I think it's ok as a parent of a D kid to set some limits on the impact both we, and out kids, allow D to have on our lives.

By all means, I support listening and being sensitive, but I think it's important to avoid getting into a cycle of super sensitivity to a child who, as a child, is trying to figure out how to integrate this new aspect of life. You as a mom have a lot of influence to help put some limits on that to help your son develop a suitable vocabulary, to not be walking on egg shells.

Type 1 is like the uninvited house guest who just won't leave. You can't completely ignore it, but you can't let it takeover your life.

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We just tell Emma to "poke her finger". Maybe because she was just 2 when she was diagnosed and she could related to that instead of "checking a BG", etc. So, we've always said "poke your finger". Or "wash your hands and poke". If we want to know what her Dex says, we simply say "what does your Dexcom say".

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Understandable but I think our kids are going to be embarrassed by whatever we do at some point. Lately, the simple act of me speaking seems to embarrass my 15 year old. ;) Try not to focus on this too much.

100% agree and stated perfectly.

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

We just say it's time to test, or after, we say what's your number?

17. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My mom usually just asks if I have tested... some times my family will jokingly ask me "Hows your blood?" (a friends younger sister asks me this all the time and I think it's adorable)

personally I'm not a huge fan of the term 'sugar' when talking about bg's... for some reason I connect it with the myths that people get diabetes from eating sugar and such...

18. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We just say "test your blood sugar". I do not hesitate to have her check it any old place in public and I'll give an injection at the table in a restaurant. I have another daughter who is completely physically and mentally disabled. I'm used to be stared at constantly, and quite honestly so is she from being with her sister. She knows that it's ok to be different and is used to us tube feeding her sister or suctioning her secretions in public. She's witnessed a seizure from her sister in a restaurant too. No big deal. If people don't like it, they can not look. She actually likes having a reason to be "special" herself. I think she likes the fact that she is so brave that she is barely 8 and can give herself a shot.

I don't mind her being called a diabetic. I just can't stand for anyone to use the word retarded and I hear that constantly.

I guess if she was more sensitive to it, I would act differently and come up with something else. I certainly would try not to do anything that upset her and with age, it might bother her more and we'll adjust:)