- advertisement -

don't know how much to inject

Discussion in 'Teens' started by chee10, Jun 13, 2013.

1. chee10

chee10 New Member

hello
    i am 17 and have had type 1 since the age of 4.
    for the past 6 yrs i have suffered from anorexia, and in that time i only ate food i knew the calories and carbs in (by only eating out of packets).
    however, i am now eating normal meals with my famly.
    my problem is, i dont know how much to inject when i don't know the carbs in what im eating.
    for example, today we ate sushi for dinner. i wasnt sure how much to inject, so injected 3 u novorapid before the meal, and as soon as i was finished, i injected 2 more as my bloodsugar had risen to 13.5. (i think thats about 250).
    i dont know how soon after a meal i should check.
    any advice? is it bad to inject in this way?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Most of us purchase a book that lists the carbohydrate content of various foods. Calorie King seems to be a popular book.

If you have access to a computer, you can look up the values online at www.CalorieKing.com

You will need to test your blood sugar before you eat, as this contributes to the insulin you will inject.

If you are already high, you will need to add extra insulin.

If you are low, you will need to subtract insulin.

After looking up the food in the book or online and factoring in the blood sugar, given the insulin before the meal.

Depending on when you injected, the blood sugar will rise with the food. If you inject 15 minutes before you eat, the insulin can start to work by the time you eat.

Test 2-3 hours after you eat to determine if the amount was correct, not immediately after eating.

All these things should have been taught to your parents when you were four and then to you as you grew older by the endocrinologist.

Do you see an endocrinologist?

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

How wonderful that you are eating with your family again!!!! There are lots of nutrition guides online that you can use to reference your foods. Here is one

http://www.fatsecret.ca/calories-nutrition/

You can also just google your food choice + carbs.

With time you will memorize all your favourites. When you are eating out, you can usually get a nutrition guide from the restaurant. When we are not sure, we guess and then check 2 hours later to see how close we were to getting it right. The bolus will still be working for 2 more hours, but not as hard as the first 2 hours.

I think it's great that you are asking for info on here. I can't get DD on here ever.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi there,

Welcome! I am 19 so I am a similar age to you :)
    I have had diabetes for 10 years now and I use a Medtronic pump.

Basically, you just have to estimate, if the food you are eating doesn't have a carb count. Generally, I say each piece of sushi is 8 grams of carbs so then 6 pieces would be 48 and I would bolus for a total of 48 carbs before I eat.

Do you have an iphone or similar? I like the Calorie King app. It is free and has basically every food. I just look up the carb count on that if I am unfamiliar with the food and then test in a few hours to make sure I was correct.

Generally I test 2-3 hours after a meal and if I am really high I will do a correction accounting for whatever active insulin I have. Since you are not pumping you would probably want to wait a little longer to correct since you don't know how much active insulin you have.

Welcome again! And keep posting any questions you have :)

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Great that you are back on track with your eating! :)

You might look at using Apidra, which works much faster than other insulins. It's so fast you can actually wait until you're done and inject then, based on knowing what you ate..

6. Leah

Leah Approved members

It's great that you are eating meals with your family again!!!

If I don't know how many carbs a food is, I usually look in the Calorie King Book. Also, you can get a scale which you can plug the name of the food into, and then weigh it. I found both of these very helpful while trying to count carbs.

Also, it would help to pre-bolus about 10-15 minutes before your meal to avoid high spikes in bg. It depends on how long your insulin takes to work, but I would suggest checking your bg about 1-2 hrs after you finish a meal to check that you bolused for the right amount.

:):):)