advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dollywood

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JacksonsMom, Apr 4, 2008.

1. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

For those of you who aren't in TN or surrounding area Dollywood is an amusement park in Pigeon Forge. We are thinking of going there Memorial Day weekend and I wanted to check with them before hand about a few things after seeing some of the other things posted here about various parks.

This was the question I sent:

Question or Comment: We are thinking of visiting the park this spring. We have a son who is type 1 diabetic. I read through the pamphlet you have on line about disabilities however I did not see anything that really pertained to our situation. I need to know before we come that it is O.K. for us to bring in the medications necessary such as insulin, syringes, glucose meter, glucagon for emergencies as well as snacks and drinks for him. Please respond so that I'll know that this is o.k. and also please let me know if there is anything else that could help with our situation.

This is their response:

Thank you for your interest in Dollywood. We have a first aid and safety station staffed with EMT's located on park. It is equipped for minor emergency situations and has areas for guests who need relief in the event of exhaustion, or need privacy for administration of medication. It is located centrally on park for convenience. Please stop by and speak to our EMT's if you have health problems.

Thank you for your interest in Dollywood. We have a first aid and safety station staffed with EMT's located on park. It is equipped for minor emergency situations and has areas for guests who need relief in the event of exhaustion, or need privacy for administration of medication. It is located centrally on park for convenience. Please stop by and speak to our EMT's if you have health problems.

Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else. Our information phone number is 1(800)DOLLYWOOD or 1(800)365-5996 or you can access our website at www.dollywood.com. We hope you can visit us in the Smoky Mountains and at Dollywood soon.

What? :rolleyes: They didn't even answer my questions whatsoever!

I just thought you all here would find it interesting. Have any of you ever been to Dollywood? What was your experience?

2. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

sounds like you just got an auto response...

3. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Well it does say there is a place for privacy in case of need to administer medication but what if your not around that privacy area right!! smiles.
    I would call to be sure. Does look like an auto response. HEy what can they do though its open to the public you do what you have to do i would not even had asked but thats me.

4. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

We live close to Dollywood and have been there many times with our D supplies. They do not even check the bags usually. They did right after 9/11 but not anymore. You shouldn't have any problems taking supplies into the park. Hope you enjoy the trip!

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Glad you asked. We've been thinking of taking Sean to Dollywood, we go to Gatlinburg each year and were thinking of going to the Dixie Stampede last fall but then Sean was dxd so we didn't make it there. Hope you have a great trip. :)

6. coni

coni Approved members

Ditto what Kristi said. We have an annual pass and have always taken supplies in with us without incident. We pack our own food just because it's easier, so I'm not sure about carb counts at restaurants. (The yummy ice cream place didn't have carb counts, but we did fine guessing.)

Hope you have a great time if you go!

7. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm glad you replied and told me what I needed to know because they sure didn't! :rolleyes: It's just different now after dx because there is so much more thought that has to go into things than before.

8. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I had to respond to this late because I am catching up on reading old forums--but we just got back from Dollywood last week! It was our first time--I took a huge backpack in because we wanted to take our own lunch in instead of trying to guess at the carb counts--plus had to carry around D supplies. And no one even stopped us re: the bag--shouldn't be any problem. Have fun! We sure did--it snowed on us the first day we were there and then two days later it got into the 70's. Welcome to the South! The weather is like that here in South Carolina also--crazy.

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

That is an auto response...the person who gave you the automated response is probably a robot that looks up appropriate automated responses to people's questions.

I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor of guest relations (and only a supervisor)...also, get their name because if you have a problem when you get there, you should always have the name of the person you spoke to before arriving.

GL

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Did you see this news item? http://www.wbir.com/printfullstory.aspx?storyid=56202

Diabetic suing Dollywood for sugared soda mixup

Last Updated: 3/31/2008 10:49:24 PM

[​IMG]

A Monroe County man is suing Dollywood for $610,000 as a result of a sugary soda mixup he said sickened him and soured a business deal.

William Kinne is diabetic, and in a suit filed Friday, he says he made that very clear to his waitress at Dollywood's Back Stage Restaurant.

Kinne says he ordered a Diet Coke and asked the waitress repeatedly to be sure it was diet, after he noted it tasted strange.

Kinne reports the waitress assured him multiple times it was diet before realizing the wrong syrup had been hooked up to the soda fountain, resutling in Kinne drinking several glasses of full-sugar Coke.

As Kinne grew ill, he said park paramedics noted his blood sugar at 480 but were unable to provide him insulin and unwilling to call him an ambulance.

In the end, Kinne says, a business partner had to drive him to the hospital. Kinne said the resulting illness caused him to miss out on scheduled business negotiations in the area, which he had to reschedule, and has exacerbated his diabetes.

A Dollywood spokesperson said the park cannot comment. The Dollywood Company, Dolly Parton Productions, and Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation are named as defendants in the suit.

Click here for the full suit

11. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

Wow

All I can say to that is WOW--I am sooo paranoid about that happening--before Lindsay's diagnosis I could tell the difference between diet and regular coke. But now I can't and am so afraid that could happen to us. I am not the sue-happy kind of person--I hate frivolous lawsuits but it sounds like the man had them double check it--I would have been LIVID. Mistakes happen but the man DID question it and was assured it was diet. That's terrible! To defend Dollywood, however, we had the best experience there last week--every ride operator was VERY nice and friendly. It was a much better experience than the other parks where the teenagers operate them--that is always scary!

12. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

I actually got pretty upset while participating in the blog on this website regarding this news story. I think both parties were in error. The Dollywood employee did give him a drink from the "diet" fountain, but didn't know that the lines behind the fountain had been hooked up incorrectly. Most likely she didn't hook those up herself and she most likely didn't consider this a possibility. Obviously someone employed by Dollywood did hook the lines up incorrectly. The customer said Dollywood didn't have insulin to give him. It isn't Dollywood's responsiblity to have insulin on hand. My opinion is that you shouldn't depend on other people to have medical supplies that you know you need. That is too big a risk. As far as Dollywood declining to call for medical help, I can't comment. I find it hard to believe, but if it is true, Dollywood was wrong. If I were in that situation, either I or someone I am with would call for help myself.

Many of the posters on the blog were making terrible sterotypical comments that we all hear. I really got hot under the collar in regards to a couple of them.

13. Karin

Karin Approved members

We go to Dollywood 5 or 6 times a year and always have a great time. I do get a little stressed trying to esitmate carbs in their potatoes. There is a fun raft ride. I would bring some ziplock bags so that if you choose to carry supplies with you you can be sure that your phone, meter, etc, won't get wet. (You can also just leave a bag in shelves at the beginning of the ride). We've always carried our stuff around with us. Splash Country is just across the street. When we go there we take our check kit and insulin to the first aid place. They are happy to keep it out of the heat for us and have always been very pleasant. It's centrally located so it's not too stressful for me to be apart from it! ( Yes, of course I am always a little worried standing in lines for slides without any backup).