- advertisement -

Doing the happy dance, Pink Dexcom G4 on its way!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Edgepark just called and said I could place my order today for a new Dexcom G4 in PINK! I can not wait till I can give my opinion of the new upgrades to the system.

My dd is one of the people that still has broken CGM wires in her arm and leg I think. They never worked their way out and have not given her any problems but I do not like the idea of them being there and still am very careful to remove old sites. So I hope that we do not see anymore bent wires upon removal.

Anyone know if you can use two receivers at the same time like the old system 7+ ?

2. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Just received our phone call from Edgepark today as well. A blue gen 4 is scheduled to be shipped on the 10th (warranty up at that time with the seven plus). Can't wait to have the receiver sitting on my night side table at night. Hopefully I will stop sleeping through the alarms

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes right now I set the stove timer, i rarely sleep threw that one and it will not stop until i get up and stop it.

It has been getting cold at night and i have been hating to getup out from the warm blankets to see that everything is OK.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think you will love it. Our accuracy is similar so far to the 7+ (which means it isn't bad - I still think the Nav was better) but the range on that receiver is great. I hadn't realized how much I missed that!

5. Dan

Dan Approved members

We never had great luck with the 7+ so for us accuracy is significantly better. Normally within 5-15 points of BG reading.

6. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We're starting today. Finally. Can't wait to see what I've been missing (BG-wise).

7. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I found out today that ours will ship on Monday!!!

8. BittysMom

First night ever cgming and look what I get. No sense calibrating I guess?

9. dianas

dianas Approved members

That's awesome. I would go ahead and calibrate. You're early in the life of this sensor and you'll have a good calibration at bedtime/overnight.

10. BittysMom

Guess I should have. Still learning how *it* learns. Thanks.

11. dianas

dianas Approved members

There's no harm done either. You'll figure out a system of calibrations that will work with your schedule. One nice about Dexcom it's hard to mess up a calibration.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Go ahead and calibrate, that will push the next cal for 12 hours from then.
    Once you are on CGM for awhile and lean how accurate it is for you, you will easliy move that happy number staight at 180 to 120 or even 100.

The ability to see the falling or rising is so helpfull.

13. BittysMom

It wasn't the number I was happy with, just that I wasn't expecting any real accuracy the first day. So, by 4am Dex said 157 but finger sticks said 181 and 201. I wonder if I had calibrated that first 181, if it would have been more accurate. Whatever accurate means, 181 or 201:rolleyes: I have a lot to learn. I'll probably poke my head into the cgm forum with questions when I have time to type them out. :)

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

finally got it today.

The receiver is so small and lightweight!

just got the first call in at 10pm with her asleep, normally I would never try that but the old 7+ is still on her, So two CGMs.

I am sad about how much the new transmitter sticks out, althow I have to say that it is on her little thin arm, but can see how it will be an issue with tights this winter. May have to tape it so it does not get caught.

I am sitting her with probably straight distance of 20+ feet and 3 to 4 walls inbetween us and I an IN RANGE!!! Should be no problem to get her from my bed tonight!!!

Just got the first High alarm of 190, we are working on basal because she needed 3 juices last night, I think it is the change of weather, it has gotten down right cold.

like the color screen.

don't like the battery indicator that is "gray"

I would much rather have a longer screen with 6 hours of data and directional arrows on the top or bottom.

LOVE the alarm choices, set it to attentive and hope that it is loud enough for the teacher to hear and mckenna to not ingnore. Just in time since we have had a few lows at school since the weather has gotten colder. lows that the CGM pickeup but noone heard or that she clicked off?

well that is all I can say thus far since I just got it calibrated.

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We are finishing up our first week. I love it. The receiver is teeny and light. The range is fantastic. Accuracy is about the same - sometimes its great, sometimes its not. The one thing we seem to be seeing is that if she alarms low and we treat, it seems to "drift" down from there even though she's on her way up (we know because of follow-up checks because the Dex is still alarming).

I love that we can now see when the sensor was inserted and when the last calibration was - so we can do a little planning. We are due to restart the sensor at 7pm tonight!!

We don't have a good track record with tape. If I don't overtape it, the tape lasts about 4 days. I forgot on this one and I taped it Monday at 5 1/2 days and the tape was almost off and the sensor starting to come out of her skin. I wish the tape would stick more but I just need to get more diligent about overtaping at the very beginning.

16. BittysMom

We find the same thing with it drifting down. It happens when we prebolus breakfast too.

Where can you see the last calibration and when the sensor was inserted? Haven't noticed that.

17. Nancy in VA

Right above "Stop Sensor" or "Shutdown" (I can't remember) is a Settings option. There is Date/Time and something else (I can't remember, Emma has the receiver) but in that option, is the date the sensor was inserted and the last calibration

18. BittysMom

Great, thanks!

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

thanks, I hate it when you are getting ready to leave for the day and it pops up and you have to quickly fingure out what to do.

20. Nancy in VA

Yeah, I was heading out for christmas shopping tonight so I stopped and restarted the sensor early so it would calibrate at a good time. I used to have to really plan ahead with the Navigator to pick a 10hour and 12hour time that would both work, its so much easier on the G4.