- advertisement -

Does your endo or cde approve of the use of Emla?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jan 27, 2009.

?

Does your endo/cde approve of the use of Emla?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2009.
  1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Don't Know

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just curious...

Ours prefers that we not use it because there may be a time when you have to do a site change without it, so it's best to prep the child. They do allow it for blood draws, just prefer we don't use it for set changes. I'm curious what others are told.

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

Our endo is supportive of whatever we choose. We were using EMLA at first for sensor changes, but I don't like the stuff. When Brendan decided to try without it and realized it hurt a bit, but he could handle it, I was very relieved not to have to put EMLA on him anymore.

He didn't use it for his last blood draw either -- they took 7 tubes of blood for a study. It said it hurt, but he did fine without EMLA. I'm hoping to avoid the stuff from now on, but it's up him.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I guess I don't understand that reasoning (that of the OP's endo). For one, it's never a big deal to just wait the 20 minutes to do a site change. For another, if we were stranded in the middle of nowhere with no EMLA and HAD to do a site change...I'd just do it. He'd yell, and it would be done. I much prefer that to him screaming and flailing around for EVERY site change like he did for every shot for the five months we were on them.

Someday he won't need to use it anymore, but for now, damn straight I'm using it. If my endo didn't like it, I'd buy LMX over the counter.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie's endo would prefer that we don't use it but understands that there are benefits to using it. If it makes Charlie's life a little easier, it's well worth it. I on the other hand am a bad mom and haven't gotten the prescription filled. Hopefully, I can get it tomorrow so I can use it when I change his site.

5. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

For the first year on the pump we didn't use Emla. Now we use it for most planned site changes. Why? Well, because why make her suffer anymore than she has to. Yes, Sofie can handle a site change without Emla and will do a site if we're in a hurry and don't have time for it, however, why put her through anything more than we have to? It seems like enough without all of the painful pokes.

By the way, has anyone tried wearing a canula? Sofie inserted one into my belly the first week on the pump. Firstly, so she could practice insertion, but mostly so I could see what it felt like. While it's not too bad, it certainly isn't "pain free".

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know that if we had a CGM, I would definitely have the Emla. Those things are huge. Abby uses the Inset, and those really aren't that bad. We've worn them and as long as you get them in the right spot, it's only a little pinch.Obviously for a child with less fat it can be uncomfortable. She just prefers not to have to wait for the Emla, too busy she says!

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan's endo wrote a script for it for getting over a "hump" one time. He said he doesn't support using it long-term because it hasn't been studied long-term in kids. Nathan ended up being allergic to it so it isn't an issue.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

We asked for it and they provided a prescription. I told them I'd heard about it here!:cwds:

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

Sorry, but with everything else ds has had to deal with, if I can lessen his pain even a little bit, I will do it. We had to do the first site change without EMLA to "prove" that we could do it. Ds cried all the way through and was still crying several hours later (obviously, I had hit a nerve or something). We use it for every site change. If my endo told me I couldn't use it, I'd switch endos. For me, it's that simple. My child has been through enough pain in his young life.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I agree. I wonder how many endo's have done a site change on themselves without EMLA?

11. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

i put yes ...but we dont use "elma" cream we use lidacain cream...is it the same thing? generic name or something ill have to google ;-p

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we can use it whenever we need to.. we don't use it for site changes now.. we did in the beginning, then she (Kaylee) decided that it was quicker to do without the emla.. we DO use it for sensor changes and blood draws:)

13. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Actually, I wonder how many endos have done a site change on themselves - at all. I was quite impressed when we met our CDE and she was wearing a pump. She doesn't have diabetes. We use LMX4.

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

I agree...my daughter is going to have to deal with more than her fair share of pain for the rest of her life. If I can ease even a little bit of it I will.

Emla has done wonders for her. She was actually scheduled for a counselor appointment. She had horrible issues with her MDI.

Her first night using EMla, she looked at her dad and me and said "I just can't stop smiling":D

When I told the endo's staff how huge the impact of this cream was on her overall life guess what they did?

Suggested that I try to wean her off of it:confused:

No thanks....

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

I worry about potential side effects from using EMLA every few days for years on end. I also don't like the way Brendan's skin looks after it's been on. I'd let Brendan use it if he were really upset about sensor changes without it. But since he doesn't mind the pain from sensor changes, we don't bother now. BTW, the Navigator has a pretty small sensor. He says the pain of insertion ranges from a novolog shot to a bad lantus shot. The MM sensors look a lot more painful and we have no experience with infusion sets. So, I have no idea how Brendan would feel about those.

16. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

I have never gotten the reasoning of "emergency" site changes in which my son would not have time to numb. If it is an "emergency" then I am not going to give it to him via pump anyway. I will inject him to make sure he gets it. At that time he will have plenty of time to numb. I have no idea what my son's Endo prefers, but she provided the script when I requested it.

17. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

It's false logic. Do we give babies a needle every day so they will be "prepared" for their immunizations? Does the dentist drill even when he doesn't have to "in case" there's a cavity one day?

Life is full of little emergencies. If you need to do a site change and there's no EMLA on hand, you say, Sorry kid, gotta do it without this time, and you do it. And maybe she'll cry and fuss. How is that one episode of crying and protesting worse than going through it every three days?

18. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Our diabetic nurse (who did our pump start) said it's essential to use EMLA so that she doesn't hate the pump and associate it with pain and fear!

Our trouble was that Grace came to hate and fear the Tegaderms... but following advice on here, we started using band-aids (and using Zoff wipes to remove them), and now she's fine! She has the emla.

Our new pump rep is diabetic and let Grace insert a cannula into her belly - she already had one on for her pump. The diabetic nurses have also worn pumps. Not sure about the consultant though!!!!

I agree that if there was an emergency, I would do it without emla, but don't see the point in preparing for that by having a stressful time every 2 days by not using it.

Layla x

19. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Anna has never had emla for a site change. She always asks us 'please do it gently'... and afterwards says 'good job'. Breaks my heart really. :cwds:

Anna however was the not yet one year old that kissed the Dr after putting in her IV for the billionth time that admission and didn't cry. Even now, it is just a whiney 'awwww, do you have to'. So strong... and we dont tell her not to cry, she just doesn't... however, get Alex to steal a toy or smack her and she crys like a baby. :rolleyes:

20. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

Maxine's endo suggested to use emla for site changes but we tried without and it worked fine, she doesn't mind. So for now we are only using it when they take blood from her and there it makes things realy easy.
    But I would have used it or would start using immediately in case of any comments of hurting site changes.