- advertisement -

Does this sound far fetched -- a 'bad' bottle of Lantus??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

For the past three weeks, Aidan has been waking up crazy high (250-375). I've had to give him a Novolog correction at 5:00 am to get him back on track for breakfast.

Many of you were kind to offer suggestions...increasing Lantus, eliminating night snack, etc. THANK YOU for your advice

I was checking him 4-6x throughout the night and he kept climbing; his nurse also said increase the Lantus to 9 units. I wasn't seeing any results.

On 12/24 at 5:00am he was his highest, 378, ugh.

The evening of 12/24 was time to break out a new bottle of Lantus. Being Christmas Eve, there was alot of eating and I was expecting the worst on Christmas morning.

His 3:00 am check on 12/25 was 109. Huh?? 5:00 am check on 12/25 was 81.

On 12/26 his 3:00 am check was 189, 5:00 am check was 78.

On 12/27 he was 77 at 5:00 am. Had a few lows during the day.

Today, 12/28, he was 89 at 5:00 am.

I checked the old Lantus bottle: expiration 3/2013. I always write down the date to change the bottle, 28 days.

Being Winter Break, he's been a couch potato playing video games and his meal schedule is a bit off, too.

Is it crazy to think the old bottle of Lantus was bad?? I always immediately put it in the fridge right from the pharmacy. I wish I had written down the Lot Number, but I didn't, just the expiration date. Any experience with bad meds, even though they hadn't expired or weren't stored properly??

Thanks,

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When high blood sugars are instantly fixed with a new bottle of insulin, I would assume the previous bottle was not as effective.

Next time, you will know to switch out all the insulins when you have unexplained highs.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That did happen more often when Steven was on NPH. That insulin seemed to be very sensitive to high temps. This past summer Steven was very high for a few days. The temps had been in the 90s so I wasnt sure if the Lantus and humolog had gotten too warm and switched them both. His blood sugars were in range that night. I think its quite possible that a bottle can get too warm when its being shipped if its not packed properly and therefore will lose some of its effectiveness

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wanted to add that insulin is a delicate drug. There is no telling why the bottle you were using was not as effective as a new bottle.

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Thanks again.
    Lesson learned for sure :eek:

6. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Lantus concern

I was very interested to read your post. Had almost the exact same thing going on running higher last week. DS had all day indoor baseball camp so knew it was not from being inactive. He was not having rebounds from lows. I wondered about growth since he was in another spurt. Decided it was like he had no Lantus working at all and changed to a new Lantus vial that we store in a different refrigerator. That very night and next day he was back to typical numbers. Hate to waste a vial but plan to chuck the one.Our fridge was overly full with holiday food so wonder if it may have froze. I should invest in one of those refrigerator freeze indicators. Anyone have a quick link for those?

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

He was waking high. What were his numbers doing overnight?