- advertisement -

Does nitrous oxide impact BGs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Jul 9, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son needs to have a baby tooth extracted tomorrow (just found out today). They will be using gas to sedate him...does anyone know if nitrous oxide impacts BGs in any way?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

The 2 times we've used it I don't recall any noteworthy BG excursions.

3. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have not noted any problem with either the nitrous or the extraction process.

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Dental work of any kind (cleaning, fillings, etc) cause my DD stress and BG's rise. So for us, nitrous keeps her lower :)

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thanks everyone. We're headed out soon...hope this isn't too traumatic.:rolleyes::(

6. momofone

momofone Approved members

We didn't notice anything with nitrous either but did fight highs afterwards due to the stress/ discomfort

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Everything went well...the dentist pulled out one honking huge front baby tooth...but they said my son did great...no tears or yelling.

We DID fight highs later that day...but they were due to the fact we went out for lunch and he had an ice cream sundae with hot fudge and M&Ms! I do this EVERY time...you'd think I'd learn. I bolus and set an increased basal (40% this time). I check him in 2 hours...he was 90 and said he was feeling a bit shaky...so I turned off the increased basal.:( Two hours later...he was in the 300s. I keep forgetting that his shakiness often means his BG is going UP quickly now...he often feels highs. Next time...I am keeping it up for 4 hours!