- advertisement -

Does FB ever seem like a place to brag to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by chkpea, Jan 9, 2011.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I think some people use FB as a journal and air EVERYTHING there.

I don't mind seeing an occasional "brag" but agree that no ones life can be that perfect. Can it??? It also bugs me when I see "bitchy" post all the time too. Really, if you are that miserable then get off FB and do something about it.

I laugh at my GF, she uses an app on her phone that tracks everywhere she goes. GF just checked into Walmart, GF just checked into Target, GF just checked into bathroom (ha-ha). TMI for me.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I tried Facebook twice. It really freaked me out. I'm sure if I were on there awhile I've be able to avoid the scary stuff and get good out of it. . . . if, once I'd been on there awhile, I still wanted to (cue evil laughter). . . .

3. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Sometimes I have a bunch of perfect mommies on my news feed "J got all A's today so I made a lovely meal of organic twigs and free range meat, he gobbled it all up" and a bunch of emo teen relatives that just type "fml"

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Personally for me it sounds like an invitation stating:

We are away. In Aruba. No one is watching our house. Feel free to stop by and take whatever you think is of value... We won't mind because we are...in Aruba.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Betty White was asked to be on SNL last Mother's Day after a campaign on Facebook. On the show she explained, "Before this, I didn't even know what Facebook was, and now that I know, I think it sounds like A BIG WASTE OF TIME!"

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I have a coworker who is like that.. drives me nuts. Seriously she blabs her mouth so much at work that we all know exactly who she is talking about.

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I only have about 25 'friends' on FB but their status updates are mainly 'poor me' updates. I would prefer the bragging ones because they usually have pictures with them, lol.

8. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

LOL! No, because we have been know to drink together.

9. chelsedin

chelsedin Approved members

LOL that made my day. Well said!

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

LOL.. I can't even imagine what you're speaking of.

11. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

I don't have many D friends on Facebook, so I like to put statuses like
    " My kid was so high last night"
    It's fun to make people wonder !:D

I def have some braggers on my friends list.
    But it's never really all posted.
    Like my one friend.
    "So excited to be heading to Disney with my kids. God knows I've worked hard enough, I deserve a vacation"

But really, her parents are paying for the trip !

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

My statuses have been about my chemo and cancer and my life in general..if it bothers anyone..hide me or better yet..delete yourself off of my friends...thanks!! And some are happy..life does not always suck. People do! :)

13. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I actually feel guilty saying anything too wonderful because I don't want it to look like I'm rubbing it in if something is going good. Like - I'm going to Mexico - yaay me! You are the only ones to know this and that is because you don't know me so I don't feel so guilty. Besides, nothing really goes good for me so I am happy to say something exciting for once. But still not going to be posted on FB. I am really NOT bragging here.

I also never write about my sons diabetes because one time my friend mumbled under her breath "diabetes, diabetes, diabetes." I was so hurt. I had it out with her and told her what our lives are really like and that if you can't tell your closests friends than who can you tell? So I figure people would be saying "diabetes, diabetes, diabetes." if they saw me posting about it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  14. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

I'm glad to see that I"m not the only one that thinks FB is a little weird. I've posted maybe 3 times since i joined 2 years ago, and honestly, I can't imagine that anyone wants to know that much about me all the time :eek:

Not to say that I don't enjoy reading what others are doing, on occasion, but I find that so much of it is bragging, TMI, or complaining!!

Maybe I have the wrong facebook friends ;)

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I have this one weird person on FB who puts random songs about nonsensical stuff on her statuts. If I didn't know her well, I'd say she needs some professional help. No one is that...ummm...strange, kwim? But she's a what you call, a good egg, half-cracked, but still a good egg.

16. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

There's a nice little click-on thing on FB called "Hide this post" that I have to use form time to time. I know what your saying. Lots of times when everything is going wrong in my world, everyone on my FB is bragging about their wonderful life and perfect job/vacation/new car/yada yada yada. And its like a stab in the back, or slap in your face, its almost like you can hear them gloating. Click "Hide this post" and all that stress is gone. :D I have to do the same to some others who have the potty mouth illness. I dont mind the occasional bad word, cause I have a bad habit of letting the words slip in real life too. But every status update? And then they post updates multiple times a day?

17. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

ROFL, she is a good egg. (And so are you!) So when does our flight land in Aruba?

18. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I like to post news items... weather conditions... (if you are my FB friend you already know that I am a weather geek from all my posts). I post diabetes things when I am in a rut and need help, or later in the evening when I know my West Coast friends and most of the other side of the world is awake and I am up all night and need their company, advice and humor! My family hates my diabetes posts, so i sometimes block them from seeing my posts when i post something that will make them think i am a nutcase :p ; my kids are my "friends" but I went into my d son's FB and "hid" my posts so he doesnt see that I write ANYTHING ;) :p ; when I comment to him on his posts (NOT on FB, not cool!) in person, he tells me I'm a "creeper" :D:p ; I like to find out what people are reading so I can get some good reading suggestions; I don't say I'm going on vacation, dont want anyone to rob my house while we're gone... I like reading what people are doing, people are SO interesting... but then there is a nephew who likes to post random song lyrics, too, which are totally off the hook (and downright embarrassing)! And if I don't want to see someone's post, I hit the "hide this post" and tata, all gone from sight...

19. Beach bum

Hey...
    I represent that remark;)

20. Beach bum

But Paula, the half cracked eggs with their random songs and nonsensical stuff is what makes it fun, and keeps me coming back:D Plus, I need to check in with my friend to see if she's in Aruba. I did notice yesterday she posted about starting to plan...