- advertisement -

Does anyone read this blog , six until me?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I read this blog, down where she talked about going low and going into a Panera's. If she had the Dexcom , why didn't it give her some warning? Maybe I am missing something.

http://www.sixuntilme.com/

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Re-read the post, you'll see she does mention that it was in her purse and it was alarming.

"Gee whiz," I said. (What's that? Not kidding you on that one? Fine. I dropped an F bomb right there, outside of Ann Taylor. I have no class.) I noticed a Panera Bread next door so I slammed my car door and walked over there, listening to the Dexcom blaring from inside my purse."

Unfortunately no CGM will stop a low, they just alarm to the potential low. The navigator has predicative alarms, but the the old seven system just alarms when you get to the number you choose to set it at. She doesn't say whether she had the alarm on to alert to a fast drop in the blog. Some people don't like the fast drop warning when they are in public... maybe this is the case with her?

Either way I do like her posts, she doesn't sugar coat stuff, and it is good to see a decent role model of someone who is trying to live life !

WTG! to Kerri and it was really nice of the gentleman to get the juice. Hopefully she'll remember to keep more tabs in her purse. ( I have no right to criticize)
    I know I am notoriously bad for forgetting to refill our tabs! It is a good reminder to me because you never know when that low is coming!

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I just was confused. I heard her say she got feeling sweaty in Ann Taylor then left and went outside. Then she heard the alarm go off in her purse. Why didn't it go off sooner before she felt the low?
    I guess she may have had the low set and not a predictive alarm. If I had the low set high enough say 85 then it might caught a fast one at 70. But if I just had it set to 70 then they would be 50 if dropping fast before it would signal.
    Does she have the old Dex or the new one. With the Navigator we have predictive alarms that can predict the lows before my kids get that low.:confused:

Did the old Dex not have pred alarms , right?

4. betty6333

The old system did not have the predicative alarms. It would alarm when you hit a certain number that you chose, but it didn't have the alarm that predicted a low.

I do not know what she has or what alarms she sets up, but I would suggest to ask her. I bet that if she is not on the plus already she will be when the upgrade becomes available.
    Most of my adult friends do NOT want anything alarming. When I let my friend borrow our extra system for a week she turned off all the alarms except the 55 low alarm. She works in a setting where unless it is an emergency it is very inappropriate to have alarms going off, even if they are quiet.

She just checked it more often... yes she could have gotten "more" out of wearing it, but it is what fit her life best at the time.

I would recommend to ask Kerri those questions. I think each person tailors a cgm to fit their own life and needs and I would not feel comfortable saying why she chose to set the system up that way. I assume that she is able to make the decisions that work best for her.

5. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Another point of view here from an adult with diabetes..... For me, 75 if I have no insulin on board is a perfectly acceptable number. If I have my alarms for the Dexcom set to where I can catch a potential low, meaning have it alarm anytime I am 90 or lower, and could potentially dropping, that also means it would be alarming anytime I am 90 and not dropping, which is a lot of the time for me. I try to run in the 80 - 130 range... that means for me, since there are no predictive alarms on the Dexcom, I would be alarming loads... and that for me would be intolerable. I would have it set at 70, which is actually where I have mine. Yes, it might not catch a super fast dropping low, but I tend to catch those pretty easily.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So, you have the older Dexcom, right? I wonder if the new Dexcom Plus has the new predictive alarms?

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our Navigator has vibrate mode but we have never used it. Does Dexcom have vibrate?

8. betty6333

Yes, There is a great tutorial at dexcom.com It will show you the features and the ways you can set up the alarms or turn them off.

It is very customizeable.

The tutorial is worth the time when you get a chance.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I'm definitely going to look at Dexcom at the FFL conference. I really like Navigator but I may end up picking up Animas as our pump in the future and I am just curious how I would like that CGM.

I sent off for the Dexcom brochure.

10. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

If I recall correctly she did get the new Dexcom Seven Plus when it was released.

I know on our Dexcom Seven if I had the receiver in my purse I would not have heard it alarm at first on the low alert, because it vibrates only first. Then it sounds an alarm if not shut off. Then it sounds an even louder alarm again if not shut off through the first two notifications.

The alarm for 55 or lower is an actual alarm.

I don't know what her settings are at, so it's hard to say which alarm she heard "first".

I do beleive it is more customizable in the new Seven plus, but since we won't see it for another month or so at least I haven't done a whole lot of reading up on it yet. I just know I am excited about the increased reliability from all I have heard using it and can't wait for our upgrade.

11. khannen

khannen Approved members

The rep here said that the alarms have changed alot on the new PLus, but they still don't have the 'predicted' alarms. That plus the range difference ended up being the deciding factors in our decision to go for the Nav. I think either one will be a wild ride for us though. Lol! I love her blog and try to keep up with her often.

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I gotta tell you, even while I was yelling at Abbott last night about the finger stick with the Freestyle and the CGMS being 90 points off, I commended them on the range. Its freakin awesome and make SUCH A DIFFERENCE!

13. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I read the post when Kerri wrote it and sent the customer service desk of the food chain a compliment.

All the technology in the word doesn't change YDMV.

Kerri is my roll model for how I want my DD to grow up. Sometimes life just doesn't work out like clockwork and she can find humor in it.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I thought they had predicted alarms now? Do they call them something else?

15. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Aw, you're just trying to butter her up! :p

(I saw that and just HAD to interject! :D)