- advertisement -

Does anyone on MDI regularly use .25 units?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

For years, we've been rounding insulin doses to the nearest .25 unit and have been happy with Andy's numbers and A1C. He's now 8 and half and 62 pounds and I'm wondering if at some point, the .25 unit measurement isn't necessary to get the same results (using the .5 unit allows more use of the pen versus syringe). Wondering what other MDI parents do and/or thoughts on the benefit of the .25 units (as we all know pulling .25 units, even with the half-unit markings, is subjective). Thanks for sharing and/or any insights.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I would go to the pen for more accurate dosing at this age. Being able to give smaller doses is sometimes nice. You could consider the pump if that is important to you. But I would think you'd be able to make half units work at this point.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We're MDI and actually get as close as possible - we calculate to the nearest .1. It's even easier now because our app (Diabetes 360) does the math and we just set it to give amounts in tenths. Can I guarantee that we're getting 4.6? Nope. But I can eyeball it to just past the 4.5 marker. 3.9 would be a smidge before the 4 marker. 8.7 is about halfway between the 8.5 and the 9. We know it's not perfect but we figure our guess has to be better than rounding to a half unit and since going to a quarter is so easy (because we use the syringes with half-unit markers), why not give our best shot to any number. We've been doing this for so long that it would be weird to stop. I think that being less detailed would bother me because I would feel like I was giving a little too much or too little every time. Day cares and schools and care givers have never had an issue with it so it's just been what we've always done. I've never really thought about it...

We have tried the pens before and never liked them - leakback issues, having to leave the needle in longer, wasting units for priming - so for us it wouldn't be a benefit to switch. If the pen is your preference, I can see the logic of switching to half units. Mine both use syringes and the inject-ease and never want an inject-ease free shot so the pen isn't an option anyways. Seems like a good sacrifice if the pen is his preference, though!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We MDI basal Lantus and change by the 1/2 unit.

When she was just DX at 13 months till she started pumping we tried for 1/4 units, we called it a "smidge more/less than" or just above or just below.

We have never had any luck with pens, Leakback is just too much with smaller doses with the pen needles. We do use the pens to draw from as they are more convient and have less insulin waste than vials.

5. steph

steph Approved members

We used to do 1/4 units when DD had higher I/C ratios. It was kind of a pain. I would recommend trying diluted insulin if you want to be more accurate. Now that her I/C ratios are a bit higher, we use the pen. When we first tried it we hated it bc she would always be high. But then I realized that the pen ratio is different than the syringe ratio bc of the leakback. So when we figured out what the correct pen ratio was, it worked just fine. But back when she was still 1/50 there's no way we could have used a pen.