- advertisement -

Does anyone have a D.A.D.?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Oct 26, 2015.

1. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

My husband's cousin has a D.A.D. I didn't even know he had a type 1 cousin. So I was really surprised when his mother told him she was getting the dog! From what his mother told him, his cousin is afraid to try a CGM so the dog was what she wanted. She's had it about six months now and really likes it. That's all I know about it

I had a miniature dachshund who would alert me or my husband when I was low during my sleep, without training. He'd jump on my face or if I was out, he'd bark at my husband or jump on him. I've always had this problem of never being able to tell when I was low during my sleep. I had another miniature dachshund growing up, who'd do the same thing. Jump on my face when I was low.

I have a miniature dachshund now who can tell when I'm low, but doesn't tell me. I think there's something about the way we smell when we go low and/or high. Bear, my dog, sometimes tells me during the day, so I praise him, but he doesn't do it constantly. But since I have the Dexcom, and will be wearing my pump starting next week, I'm no longer worried about nighttime lows.

2. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Thanks for the positive comments! I am so excited to try this! I trained the rabbit a little bit at a time. When we brought Esther home, she actually live in a kiddie pool for about two weeks while she got used to going potty in one spot. We then introduced a potty box to her, put a soiled newspaper with her pee in the potty box, and she began recognizing where she was suppose to go. She was about 90% trained in a month, fully trained by 3 months. She did nibble on some furniture, especially the baseboard when she was laying down next to it, like we wouldn't notice her. LOL! She no longer chews on things when she's out unless she is looking for attention. Just like a three year old! For the most part, she was fairly simple to train, but maybe that was because I didn't limit her and actually just let her show me what she could do. It was just an experiment as well!She stands up for me and begs, she knows when it's dinner time and time to get up, she even wakes up my husband when he oversleeps! No joke! She thumps her big feet down, ( and I mean BIG feet) just like Thumper, and boy, does that get him out of bed! She is very smart and I have never underestimated her ability to learn new things. She is amazing! She loves to play, she loves to cuddle and she is a great "watch bunny" She has alerted us to things outside late at night that she hears (usually skunks and possums) My husband thought I was crazy too, when I first started to "train" her. But little by little, she began to show us that she did understand and that she could be taught new things. She is such a joy! Just like a spoiled child, sometimes she only does what she's told when she wants to. If she is miffed about something, she lays in her cage and gives us "the bunny butt" literally turning her tail to us and ignoring us! She definitely is a character! She is the bunny in the picture with my son. She is a very important part of our family.

3. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Love hearing about the rabbit. My daughter keeps asking for one, but I've never owned one. I may be asking you for advice! :) What breed (or is it mixed) will your newest addition be? I have a friend whose daughter has a DAD. She is a lab, they did pay approx. 20K, and the dog goes to school with her. There is another teenager at the same school with one as well. She has alerted the daughter many times, but they also use the Dex. Her glucose seems to be unstable a lot more than usual, so between the two there is better monitoring. Dex fails to catch fast drops, but the dog will pick up changes well in advance.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

What a cute story!!!! I'd say, if you can train a bunny, you just may be able to train a dog to be a D.a.d. I guess this has been hashed out pretty well, but What I would've originally said is that, if you plan to get a dog anyway, there's no harm in trying to teach him to alert with highs or lows, but if having a DAD is your only reason for wanting a dog, it might not be worth it in the end. Maybe do some research about what breeds seem better for the task.

I say go for it! Who knows...maybe someday you'll be the person people are paying the big bucks to train their dog. :). I like your attitude of "anything is possible." Those of us who have a hard time a seeing past "what has already been done" (and I include myself in this group) are missing out.

Off topic, I once saw a pic of a lady who claimed to have potty trained a chicken. Being a natural skeptic, I didn't fully believe the story, but if a bunny can do it, maybe a chicken can too. Although we've raised chickens before and I am convinced they must be the dumbest animals on the planet! Lol

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

That's my first bunny that died couple months ago :(

And this is the new one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2sbD0dfEv0 (with her foster mom).

6. DiabetesMama

Just a quick note to everyone following our story! We were accepted to adopt our puppy! Before searching for a puppy, I did several days of research on the computer to see what breeds are the best. He had two of the best ones mixed into one! He is a beautiful Australian Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix and is such a good boy! The foster mom says he is such a quick learner and that he stays calm around five other puppies the lady is fostering. She said he is very smart and is very willing to please people. All good traits so far! I picked this one because of the breeds, the intelligence level, and he loves to be with people! She says when he sits down, he has to touch her either with a paw or just sits on her foot. This is a great chance to prove anything is possible! I will post pictures after they deliver him to us and as soon as he's settled! We are super excited. And thanks quiltinmom for your input. That is the best way of putting a gentle warning. Love My Hounds... Awe I am so sorry that your bunny passed away. I can't imagine our life without Esther bunny. Thankfully she has a long life span of 8-10 years for a larger breed and she lives inside which cuts out a lot of things that could go wrong out of doors. Actually, it would be impossible to keep anything safe out where we live because we have some many predators, skunks, possums, foxes, and even HUGE coyotes that aren't afraid to be in the neighborhood. We live a bit out in the country, but still in a neighborhood. It would be suicide for anyone to try to keep a small pet out of doors for too long here. Well, take care and I am going to check out your new bunny! Thanks for all the great input!

7. forHisglory

Sounds like an excellent choice for breed and knowing temperament ahead of time is a bonus too. Looking forward to seeing pics bc that is an interesting mix! Excited for your family.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm sorry you're upset. In all honesty I hope you are successful. However, this site isn't a "unicorn and rainbows" site and sometimes people post their opinions that might be less than encouraging ... especially when it comes to questionable approaches to diabetes management and expecting a dog to supplement well proven and established technology is, IN MY OPINION, a questionable approach. I never, ever suggested that you would beat or mistreat an animal. I won't, however, apologize for being a naysayer on this topic. Good luck. In the end ... a puppy is still a puppy.

9. DiabetesMama

Fair enough, but when you said "this won't end well" right after the other post, what was I supposed to assume? I respect your opinion and I know that this is not a "unicorns and rainbows" site. After all we are dealing with one of the most frustrating non curable diseases. I know that it is a long stretch, but I would at least like some encouragement. I do thank you for you hoping that I am successful. Where would the United States be without dreams and dreamers? We certainly wouldn't have made it to the moon, and probably, we wouldn't be able to treat our children with man made insulin. Thank you Dr. Banting!!! My point is, so much more can be accomplished if everyone is less negative and if we just support each other in our trials and our experiments. I am just wanting to make a difference, isn't that what is all about? And yes, we use the Dexcom and we trust it to an extent, but even then it has been 30-40 points off and we all know that if the Dex is reading 70 and it's off 40 points...yeah, well anyway. It can be a really scary and dangerous situation. IF there is a way to have these smart and loyal animals to help us by using that thing that come natural to them, (sniffing) why shouldn't it be attempted? I just want to see if it can be done for those of us who would like a pet and an alert dog in the same package. No worries, I am not upset anymore. I am not going to let a few comments ruin who I am and what I believe in. I am hoping that this goes well so I can help others. We will hopefully have our new puppy on Saturday and my great adventure will begin. I will try and post pictures soon. Thank you for all your posts. Take care.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't know you. I only have your post to go off and the above posts are written by someone who doesn't know much about having a dog. Your comments indicate as well that you don't know much about how service dogs differ from pets. You subsequent post indicate that you think breed is determinative. None of which bodes well for your achieving your goal.

Thousands of great dogs are euthanized every day because people had unrealistic expectations and grandiose ideas of their inner "dog-whisperer".

Sorry you don't like my tone. I don't much care for yours either.

11. DiabetesMama

Obviously you did not read one of my other posts... This is our first FAMILY dog, but I have had three dogs previously to getting married (Terripoo, Coonhound/Pitbull mix,
    Shih tzu/Cocker Spaniel mix ) and my husband has had numerous dogs before we got married as well. I wish you would read all posts before posting. Ok, as far as the breed goes, I began looking for a breed or breeds that are commonly used for just this purpose, and labs are used ALOT. The Australian Shepherd are know to be hard workers and very intelligent and are loyal to their owners. Even the foster mom thinks he would be a great choice for what we are trying to accomplish. And I assure you that this dog will become one of the family and will not be turned back into the shelter. Our first goal is to make a great best friend for my son... the rest is just icing on the cake if it is successful. I know our hearts and our goals. I feel like I am just having to repeat myself with you so I am going to gracefully bow out of this argument.

12. DiabetesMama

13. forHisglory

Love that face!! Cute puppy!!

What is his name? I was thinking maybe unicorn or rainbow (tongue in cheek!) ;) Really though, maybe since it's close to Halloween the first name that came to mind was Snickers. That would be ironic for a D.A.D. huh? Congratulations on an adorable pup.

14. DiabetesMama

LOL!!! Yeah, I get ya! The kids have picked out the name Riley. Someone named him Reedus, but that just doesn't fit him. I like the name Snickers, that's cute! I am unsure if the kids are willing to bend, though. We should have him Saturday and begin spoiling him rotten. Take care, just thought I would share him with you all!

15. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I agree that training a DAD is going to be a lot harder than you think, but it sounds like that's just icing and you're excited for a new family pet. Good luck! Keep us posted.

16. DiabetesMama

Well, one never knows unless one tries. Worth a shot, right? Thanks for the well wishes and I definitely will update our progress! :D

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Have you actually met this dog?

18. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

OMG! Too cute!:):):)
    Is he a beagle mix?

19. DiabetesMama

To Love My Hounds- Your new bunny is adorable! I watched the link of your new best buddy and it's so cute! Is it a girl or boy? Have you thought about training it at all? Hope you enjoy your new best friend!

He is an Australian Shepherd/Labrador retriever mix. Isn't he sweet? We are just waiting for his last vet appointment to be finalized and microchipped, and they should confirm a Saturday drop off appointment. The whole family is so excited! Found a great website for Diabetic Alert Dog training as well and finalizing a training plan. We are obviously going to work on the normal commands first, then move on to the scent recognition. Gonna be a great challenge for us, but it is a great thing that we homeschool so we have all day to work in between subjects with training and just fun. Take care!

20. forHisglory

That is exactly what I thought when I saw him! The stripe on face, overall body shape and white tip tail reminded me of the beagle/mixes I've had. Also, his shorter hair coat. But, him sticking close by the foster mom/sitting on her foot would suggest an Aussie or border collie mixed in there because beagles aren't usually like that. My last beagle we had for 12 years knew over 30 commands and could sniff out various hidden objects, and I've seen them used in airports for drug ID so I bet they would be decent as a DAD too......except for their extreme distractability when outdoors. Super cute puppy for Diabetesmama.