- advertisement -

Does anyone "Celebrate" Diabetes Diagnosis Day?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lbwahle, Jun 4, 2009.

1. lbwahle

lbwahle New Member

Does anyone recognize their child's diagnosis date each year? I am looking for a creative way to look back and remember and see how far we've come each year. Any ideas? Or is this just not a good idea to do??

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We've never done anything, but I remember reading a couple posts about families who take toys to donate to the children's hospital on D-day.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We celebrate it. We have only had one anniversary so far so I am no expert at it. We just went out to eat and I made a cake with Kaleb's favorite frosting. The whipped kind that his favorite bakery uses. I wrote something on the cake but it is not something I should say here.

I think for most, it is a very personal decision on to celebrate it or not. For us, we celebrate the fact that we made it a year. In the beginning a year seemed like forever away. We also celebrated how far diabetes care has come. The celebrated the fact that he has a wonderful diabetes team. We in no way celebrated the fact that he has had D for a year, it was really about how far we have came.

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We do not celebrate the Diabetes, but we do celebrate a successful year and how far we have come.
    We allow Tyler to choose a restaurant and we go for dinner. We are all allowed to choose ANYTHING we want off the menu and usually involves the dessert that sends our eyes rolling and our hearts a-flutter!!:eek::D
    We try to be as relaxed about the carbs as we can be without being neglectful. It usually results in a terribly high bg when we get home, but we deal with it and move on.

We laugh about our mishaps and mistakes and reflect on the good times when things have gone well.
    It is a day for us to be thankful that the diagnosis saved his life.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We do, we let Seth pick what he wants to do...He usually wants to go bowling, have a sleep over, or play 9 holes of golf.:cwds:

6. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We take toys to the childrens ward at the hospital. Phillip also loves having the chance to go in and say hi to the nurses he got to know at diagnosis.

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Yeah. We have a community event. The kids go house to house and get candy.

We got out of the hospital on Halloween. :)

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

LOVE your humor bennet!!! Missed you aroud here.

We celebrate a happy healthy year!!!

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep - we party hard! It celebrates all of the hard work she has put in to be healthy for another year!

10. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

We celebrate it! We've only had one anniversary so far and she was out of town vising her grandparents but she got to pick where she wanted to eat and got ice cream afterwards. Next year we plan on making blankets for the endocrinology part of the hospital. She got a blanket when she was diagnosed (that kids from a local school had made and donated) and she has talked about making some for other kids who are diagnosed.

11. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Chris also was totally spoiled by the nurses when he was dx. So we did take a bag of toys to the hospital on his 1st anniversary in November.

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

We chose not too celebrate it..Amanda was just a baby when diagnosed and pretty sick in ICU..of course I will never forget the day...but to actually celebrate it, no.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The day my child was diagnosed with diabetes is no celebration. I wouldn't celebrate a car wreck or a house burning down.

A better term for me is observe and make note.

We don't do anything different on that day. I use it to count the years living with diabetes. Since he was dx'd in 1997, I almost have to subtract each time to remember that it is now 11 years, 8 years.

14. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

I just can not bring myself to celebrate that day. It just makes me sad. But we will sure celebrate the day they find a cure. Its only been a year for TJ and I think of all the crap I had to deal with with the school and people period and well what can I say. But I will celebrate Him everyday . He is a pure joy .These Kids are tough and parents are amazing I will celebrate that and tell all of you . Thank You for being the wonderful People you are for dealing with such a crazy lives as we all have . sleepless nights , worring, dealing with schools and uninformed people who don't want to listen, being treated like your invisable ,But we do it for them , because their is not a person in here that wouldn,t walk through fire for their children to ensure them the best life they can, the strengh of these kids is nothing short of amazing. That I will celebrate :)

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Do what feels right for you and try not to be swayed by what others are feeling. The past 2 anniversaries we went to dinner and celebrated life and how well my son was diligent and took care of himself. Nothing too creative just family time. It's a roller coaster of emotions up and down that's for sure. I think it's a good time to talk about feelings with your child if your kids are of the age to have some open dialogue.

I can see where one of these years the anniversary specific day is just going to slip by us unnoticed.

16. lbwahle

lbwahle New Member

Does anyone recognize their child's diagnosis date each year? I am looking for a creative way to look back and remember and see how far we've come each year. Any ideas? Or is this just not a good idea to do??

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! I think we will try and incorporate several of the ideas. I thank God every day for the Diagnosis Day that saved my daughter's life after being sick for 8 weeks with no one listening to me that she really was sick! And I know that with each hardship we are blessed by Him. Although the ultimate purpose may remain hidden, she will use this obstacle to better her life and others around her.
    For us, celebrating any hardship in life is part of our belief that we praise God in ALL situations, good or bad.
    Lisa, Mom of Claire (Dx at 22 months 7/7/08, on Lantus and Humalog/Apidra)

17. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

We let Christian pick a place for dinner. I also write him a letter telling him how proud I am of him and kind of reflect on the year and what we have accomplished.

18. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

This is exactly what I would like to do next month. I think it would be nice to give back to the hospital that saved him. I remember how much he loved those toys when he was there and I would love to make another child's day special with new toys. :)

19. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Nope, we don't do anything to celebrate. It was a sad day for us. He was diagnosed right after Halloween, so that holiday is an unwelcome reminder. We do celebrate exact 100's or the exact same number as his dad when they test together. We also celebrate when he reaches the end of a log book. I call it Happy New Log Book Day! Our next one will be this Sunday. New, fresh log book and another healthy year living with D. :)

20. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we celebrate. Our dx was so different than most in that he was not sick, never hospitalized. I'm not sure how I'd feel if he was in DKA at the time