- advertisement -

Does anybody else...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Timmy Mac, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

... not put up with ANY comments about diabetes? I mean, I'm a fairly sarcastic person by nature, but I ALWAYS give a blunt comment back to them.

The other day someone saw me check my bloodsugar and this conversation happened.

Him: I could never do that
    Me: Yes you could
    Him: No really, needles scare me. You're so brave!
    Me: Trust me, when you have to choose between stabbing yourself 12 times a day or dieing, you would choose the stabbing.

This of course killed the mood for about 5 minutes. Then later, some guy told me that I need to get therapy because I'm apparently depressed. I calmly explained theres much more to me than diabetes and that I don't hate my life... then I walked away.

anyone else just gotten fed up with the same comments over and over? I know the guy was trying to compliment me, but it just ticks me off when people say stuff like that.

2. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

I think that is the one I hear the most.."I could never do that." I don't get upset about it. I hate talking about my diabetes to people who don't understand what it is though. But to be fair..if I wasn't diabetic, I would prob say something like that too. I absolutely hated needles before all this happened.

3. KeishaAlexia

KeishaAlexia Approved members

Haha yeah all the time, mostly because I am naturally very sarcastic and because sometimes the remarks from people are just so annoying :p

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I hate when people say that! I've had more than one person tell me they would rather die then live with diabetes... I know their trying to compliment me but it just makes me feel like I'm not normal... I just don't even respond... or say something like "you'd be surprised what you can do when the other option is a long and painful death" that usually shuts them up.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's not just you teens dealing with this. We feel it as parents, too. I was told "I wouldn't want to do that (give an injection)." That day I was too fried to keep the emotions and thoughts in, so my response was, "I have a choice between doing it or picking out a casket in about three days. I don't like doing it, either." There was shocked silence. Truthfully, I've never regretted saying it either.:mad:

6. Phillipn

Phillipn Approved members

i always get the 'does that hurt?'

7. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

That's the one I hate the most. Every time someone asks me that I look at them and say, "It's a sharp metal object entering my finger. What do you think?" Most of the time I can tolerate the questions, but it's the really stupid ones like this that I can't stand.

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Yeah, last night, in fact, I was talking to some of the youth group about college, and one girl has been fluctuating about deciding whether she ought to go or not. I told her she should, and then mentioned that I wanted to take at least one class (I decided today to take 2) so I wouldn't have to get the meningitis vaccine, because I don't like the vaccine shots. Her reaction was that she wasn't going to go to college AT ALL, because there was NO WAY that she was going to have to get a shot first. I would take it if necessary, but vaccines always make my arm sore for DAYS, which is the part I hate. That seemed to me like a stupid reason not to go to college. She's said before that she doesn't know WHAT she would do if she got diabetes. My reply is usually that she would live with it, or die. My standard reply to anyone else that says that they couldn't do is "Oh, you'd get used to it after awhile. It still hurts, but it's not as hard." (unless you get burnout, but I don't say that.)

9. babykat

babykat Approved members

Why would he say that you need therapy? That doesn't make any sense and if he were in your place he would choose shots too. He obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.
    The stupidest but probably most commonly asked question is "Did you get Diabetes from eating too much sugar?" which i was only asked once so far but that one time made me really mad because i realized that people really don't understand diabetes at all if the public would take more time to learn about and understand better what diabetes really is we would be safer even, but until then the questions will remain hard to deal with.

10. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

One of my new college friends told him about it. When he gave me a surprised look, I said "yeah, it sucks" and then he told me to get therapy.

I think the most annoying question for me is "Are you sure you can eat that?" I usually reply by taking a huge bite out of whatever they're asking about lol :D

11. babykat

babykat Approved members

What i hate is when people think you cant eat ANY sugar :mad: and its like use your brains there is sugar in everything (natural or not)and your brain needs carbs/sugar to function!

12. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

i hate them comments, they get on my nerves so much :mad:
    the worst ones that i ever got was from my school principal when about a week and a half after diagnosis she asked me how i managed to get diabetes and did i eat too much sugary foods and sweets :mad: