- advertisement -

Does Abbott Freedom meter use new butterfly strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Sep 10, 2011.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I made my quarterly call to Abbott to seek replacement of the new/zip-wik/butterfly test strips that I got from Medco. They said they would replace 500 strips and need approval to replace the remaining 400.

I just got a call from Abbott who asked if they could simply send me a "Freedom meter" so that I could use the 400 strips that I have. I said fine (I had asked for one over a year ago when this issue first arose).

I'm seeing only a "FreeStyle Freedom Lite? Blood Glucose Monitoring System" on their website, which says: "The FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter should only be used with FreeStyle Lite? blood glucose test strips and FreeStyle? control solution."

Any insights would be appreciated.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think it's because it's an old out of date meter that they no longer sell.

What strips do you have?

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

As Michelle said, it's no longer for sale. Which leads me to believe that the meter they are going to send you is going to be for the Lite strips. You can call Abbott 10 times and get 10 different responses when it comes to these new strips, lol! :rolleyes:

We have been using the new strips with our Omnipod without any issue, but I believe we are in the minority on that.

Hopefully you will be able to get things worked out! :)

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Oy! If it is a Freedom Lite meter, I will scream. She did say that I would be able to use the strips I had (new, zip-wik, butterfly) with the "freedom" meter and did not mention "freedom lite."

Actually, I had planned on using the new strips with our PDM, but thought I'd do a few side by side tests first. Last night's readings of 169 and 98 from the same drop of blood did not inspire confidence. This morning's -- 72 and 55 -- were at least within the meter's margin of error.

Maybe by the time we go through the 500 strips they send me, the FDA will have approved the new strips, in which case I'll just assume my tests were an anomaly, or there will be some further instructions (one rep suggested that there might be some "calibration" involved ... though I'm not really sure what that means apart from changing the code).

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

It's probably an original Freedom (not lite) meter. I called them to ask where to get one so I didn't have to have two kinds of strips and they sent me one that uses the same strips as the omnipod not the "new" Lite strips.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

right. they have two kinds of "new" strips. new strips for the old meters and new strips for the new "lite" meters and the strips, other than the word "LITE", look exactly the same.

Bright ideas in marketing....

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Yea! They sent me a Freedom meter that will use my old Freestyle strips and the new Freestyle strips. No "lite" anything to be seen.

Of course, I suggested that they simply send me a meter over a year ago ... Abbott refused and has replaced well over 1,000 strips ...

But this works out well, because we joined the Freestyle Promise program and hope to get a free meter from that program as well.