- advertisement -

doc says to watch weight gain.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kdh012677, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Kdh012677

Kdh012677 Approved members

Just got back from Endo appointment. It was he first one to do his a1c since h e started on the pump. His a1c went from a 7.8 down to a 6.0....wow!!!! So happy about that. But they keep on him about his weight. He is 14 years old 5'4" and now weights 150lbs. He has gained 5pounds is 3 months. And they keep telling him that he needs to watch it. Is that too much???? He is a very active kid and since the 1st of August has started football practice and marching band practice. So is it really something that I need to be worried about?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

150lbs seems a little overweight for a 5'4" male. I'm a 5'6" female, and 140lbs is about the maximum that I like to be.

That said, it's not horribly overweight. I'd say you don't need to WORRY about it per se, but keep an eye on his diet and keep his food as healthy as you can.

Well done on the good work, btw! You must have tried hard to come out with an a1C like that. :)

3. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

By contrast, my ds 13 is 5' 8" and weighs 125lbs. He has a slender build with a smallish bone structure and is not particularly muscular. Unless your ds has an unusually dense and large bone structure and is highly muscular, I would think his weight is higher than ideal. When you pinch the skin on his abdomen, how thick of a fold do you get? The old rule of thumb was that 1" or more of thickness indicated excess fat.

On the other hand, my dd15 with D is 5' 6" and 160 lbs. It's pretty clear she carries excess fat. The question then becomes what to do about it. In her case, she has always been chubby, and takes after dh who was always chubby and is still overweight. In light of the problems with eating disorders, I choose to encourage her to maintain her weight (not gain, but not diet).

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Age matters when we're talking about weight and height. A person with a BMI of 23 who is 8 years old is horribly overweight. A person with a BMI of 23 who is 28 years old is not.
    For a 14 year old boy, your son is in the 94th percentile for BMI. If he stays in the 94th percentile into adulthood, he'll be obese. But that is a pretty big if.

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

I would hesitate to worry much about his weight at this time. My kids who have grown through that age have gone through a "chubby" stage before having a large growth spurt. They sort of grew into their weight. All three of them are now trim, healthy weight.

6. Kdh012677

Kdh012677 Approved members

He was always a smaller kid. It just really bothers him that everytime that we go there the cde calls him "fluffy".

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

That comment would tick me off. Knowing that he's been on the smaller side until recently then I really would give it a year or two before fretting at all.

8. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I like the "maintain, not gain" way of thinking. He will most likely have a growth spurt to help with this.

I really hate the whole, weigh them every time they are here thing, esp at this age. My daughter always comes out high for her height....but I know that she has a lot of muscle, not flab. She does ballet/dance 3 days a week, 2 hours at a time. She is not overweight. The ped agrees with me. She is definitely not "waifish," but is super-annoying that they bring up her weight every time we see the endo. I do not think it is helpful!

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

In my eyes there's a big difference between a doctor who brings it up once and one who brings it up over and over.
    Although a friend of mine in nursing school tells me she has been working at a clinic where they are REQUIRED by the clinic to bring up weight issues every time they see an overweight patient.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It was brought up at one of my son's visits when he was 15 and he's STILL annoyed by the comment nearly 3 years later! For him it was an inappropriate comment, but I can't say for your son, only you can. My son is HEAVY by scale, but he's rock solid, very little body fat, finding good sites is a challenge in fact. Looking at the height/weight ratio he is over the recommended weight and thus the comment by his endo....but all she had to do was look at him to realize that he was a good solid fit weight, not chubby or fluffy (what a totally inappropriate adjective that is to give a teenage boy).

Look at your son, does he need to watch his weight? Is football starting to bulk him up or is he developing some fatty reserves? Teens around the age of 14-16 have a tremendous growth spurt so it's possible he's about to shoot up taller, both my kids have a stage where they seem chunky then they grow tall and it all proportions out. Perhaps your son is there, again it's hard to say from where we sit.

For my son the comment served to further alienate him from his endo, so I really wish they would find a way to talk to teens about these type issues without being so insensitive about it.

Your son seems to be getting a lot of physical activity in his life, but I do see on our football team at least 4 developing young men who are at an unhealthy weight/height ratio. Perhaps they are about to grow taller or perhaps they are setting themselves up for a lifetime of fighting their weight, there's no way for me to know.

My advice would be first to LOOK at your son through honest/objective eyes. If he seems fit and strong, solid with muscle, then continue on. If he seems to be developing some softness to him, make sure he's getting plenty of nutritionally packed foods with minimal junk food choices. I imagine you'll see that 5'4" stretch fairly soon.

Way to go on the A1C, wow!!!!!

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This ^^

The numbers don't tell the whole story.